What field of Ed to study?

cxh1054

I've been struggling for a while now trying to discern what kind of PhD program I should be pursuing. The problem I am running in to is that there does not seem to any programs that I've found that will more broadly let me study education. For some background, I am a former K-12 teacher now working as a mental health counselor and adjunct faculty member in Early Childhood Education. I love teaching and ultimately see myself teaching in a School of Ed. My main research interests are the intersection between sexual and spiritual identities in LGBTQ+ youth, moral development and education, career education, and K-12 to college/work transition. I think because of the broad nature of my interests, I am having trouble finding a good hole for my academic peg. I think Counseling Psychology might actually be a good fit for my research interests, but then I would probably find myself teaching psychology and not education. Similarly, a degree in something like Curriculum & Instruction would satisfy my desire to land a position teaching about K-16 education, but I would be unlikely to be able to pursue my research interests (except maybe college preparedness?). Counselor Ed & Supervision seems like a possibility, but those programs are very focused on training people to teach counseling classes. I feel like I will need to pick between my research interests (more in the development/psychology/counseling vein) and my teaching goals (education/teaching/student development). Do I need to just make a choice or is there maybe some type of program I am overlooking that would marry these?

You just need to make a choice, for admission's sake. It's going to be unnecessarily challenging to get accepted if you try to craft an SoP and incorporate all of those things. I'm not sure what kind(s) of program(s) you're applying to, but if you're thinking full-time and funded, then you'll have to make a direct connection with a professor or a department. This professor will most likely have very focused interests and their willingness to bring you in as an advisee will often be based on how your interests align with theirs.  Personally, I crafted a super-focused SoP, but assessed the schools that I got into based on my ability to branch out and learn a number of different things if I were to enroll. I spent my first doctoral year all over the place. Psychology, law, foreign languages, jazz guitar, business. It wasn't easy, but it helped me to narrow in on a focus. To find my little corner of academia. You have to have a focus as a late-stage doctoral student, but I think you'd be able to do some really interesting interdisciplinary work if you pursue your interests broadly during the first few years. Just make it easy for someone at a university to imagine you in their department as a first step. Best of luck. Glad to chat more if you'd like.