Ghosted on Part-time Job Application

Tessjane77

I’ve been extremely lucky to receive full (tuition) funding and a monthly stipend for the M.A. program I’m about to start. However, I applied for a part time job off campus to help with expenses like rent and food...the shop emailed me back a few days later asking when I was available to interview. I gave them multiple dates, but they never responded to that reply. I sent a follow-up email in case they for some reason didn’t get my first one with the dates, but they have not responded to that message either. Should I just move on, since I technically don’t NEED the job?

I’d apply elsewhere, but very few places are hiring!

Were I in your situation, I'd double check the fine print about having a job while receiving funding from your program. If outside employment is technically allowed, I would reach out to interested parties, including the DGS, to see how the Powers That Be feel about graduate students with funding having outside jobs. (The point here is that the rules aren't always the rules of the road.)

IRT the shop, after you've gotten the green light on having outside employment, I recommend that you look them up to see if they're still in business. If they aren't, you will know why they didn't respond. If they're still around, give them a call.