New School for Clinical Psychology? (Other Programs with A Global Focus?)

RWA529

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to apply this fall, likely to Master's in Psychology program, with the idea of going on to a PhD. However I need some advice.

I have a public health background with about 7 years of work experience. I got my MPH in 2016  and have been mostly working in global health since then. In the course of my master's I became really interested in Global Mental Health, and I've had some opportunities to do some related work in the past few years. I also spent a year working full time on an assault hotline, and discovered that I do enjoy working on one on one with people as well. 

I really would like to have the opportunity to pursue some focused research in Global Mental Health, and it would also be really nice to eventually come out with a license. (Would love to eventually be doing a combination of research and practice). However, since I've effectively shifting fields into Psychology, I've come to the conclusion that a  masters would make me a stronger candidate.

The program I keep returning to is the New School for Social Research's MA in Psychology, where they have a Global Mental Health lab which is fairly active in precisely the areas I'm interested. (Refugees, trauma, displacement...).  However, I've heard enough negative things about the New School, that I'm slightly hesitant.The cost is a real stumbling block, though I've talked to a few students who make it sound like they can make it work. I also understand that it's not very well regarded in the field, and I've seen things on this site which suggest that it may be harder to be placed in a PhD elsewhere with 2 years at the New School. 

The issue is that I can find almost no other psychology programs where there is someone pursuing relevant research in the Global Mental Health field, and where I would be a qualified candidate.

So, my question is 2 part:

1. Is it worth to pursue a masters at New School, even if it's not highly regarded, considering they are doing the kind of research I'm interested in? 

2. Is anyone aware of other Psych programs where there is a similar focus on Global Mental Health/Refugee issues? 

I have heard plenty of negatives and no positives about this program (and I live in the area). I would look up the research being published and see where those people are at. Just off the top of my head I know that Dr. Chitra Raghavan does research with sex trafficking survivors at CUNY-John Jay. Dr. Sumi Raghavan at William Paterson in NJ does research with trauma and refugees. I am sure there are plenty of other people as well. You don't need a program to specialize in "global mental health." You just need to find a research lab that looks at your area of interest, and there are definitely plenty of people in universities all over the country who do this type of work. You can also look into MSW programs, which would also allow you to practice and get involved in research. Rutgers has a Violence Against Women and Children Institute within their MSW program that may interest you. 

4 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I have heard plenty of negatives and no positives about this program (and I live in the area).

If you don't mind me asking, what have you heard? I was considering applying to the New School as a safe school.

7 hours ago, LavenderGoat said:

If you don't mind me asking, what have you heard? I was considering applying to the New School as a safe school.

I've heard that the research opportunities are limited for the masters students except for the few "favorites" and there is a lot of favoritism within the student-faculty interactions and therefore animosity among all the students. The program is absurdly expensive and people don't walk out feeling like they got their money's worth. Those who do not get into the New School's PhD program (which is only accessible for the "favorite" masters students) have a difficult time getting accepted to other PhDs because the research opportunities were kinda stale and they didn't get to push out posters and projects. It also isn't necessarily aptitude and skill that leads a student to become one of the "favorites." Again, these are all things I've heard through the grapevine. I have never actually step foot into the school so it is not personal experience and I can't claim the veracity. Also, I just looked up tuition for the program and it said "N/A" in that part but for funding says that all incoming students are considered for fellowships, not that they all get them. So it's a little sketchy to me that the university is not up front about the potential costs. 

On 8/10/2020 at 10:21 AM, PsyDuck90 said:

Again, these are all things I've heard through the grapevine. I have never actually step foot into the school so it is not personal experience and I can't claim the veracity. Also, I just looked up tuition for the program and it said "N/A" in that part but for funding says that all incoming students are considered for fellowships, not that they all get them. So it's a little sketchy to me that the university is not up front about the potential costs. 

All the same, thanks for this. It is unfortunately in line with other things I've heard about the program. I think maybe I'll keep looking for other fits.