Incoming International Student (yet online)??

Hey folks,

I am planning to start my grad school in the US. I got my US visa, all the documents are ready, and my flight tickets are already booked.

But last minute, my university went from hybrid to 'fully online'.

So technically, according to last ICE regulations, I am not allowed to come to the US as a new international student. But 3 things:

1- I already got my visa.

2- I am J-1, not F-1. The J-1 part in the regulations is not very clear.

4- I got an official letter from my professor saying that I will need on-campus access and I will have important stuff to do in the campus (I really do).

Now what are my chances of admission? Yes, my university is fully online but my professor wrote a long letter indicating that my job is going to be in-person.

Do you think they would deport me? If yes, would I be barred from re-entry for a while?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Getting into the country shouldn't be a problem in your case. I've been hearing reports that the attitude towards f1/j1 visas are very indifferent and chill at the moment. The real problem is whether or not your stay once you get into the country is legal. In your case, since you even have a letter from your prof vouching for you, I don't think it should be an issue.

Contact your International Office on the regulations.

The J1 is an exchange student visa and therefore subject to different regulations than the F1. I'm not entirely sure if there is also a ban for entry in terms of online classes for J1, F and M has for sure, but not sure about J1. Contact your university if there's anything you can sign up for 'in person' - for example we have supervised research in a hybrid model.

I don't think it matters whether a professor is vouching for you, what matters is whether what you do complies with the rules. Professors can vouch all what they want, but they're not above the law and I would not think like that. They're also very unaware and uninfomred of the (ever changing) rules for international students. 

If you'd were to enter and it is indeed online, yes you'd probably receive a letter to leave (usually within 14 days) and if you don't comply may face a re-entry ban for a certain nr of years. I wouldn't treat this lightly

Oh and also make sure you're not from a country under travel ban. Whereas entry bans have been lifted from F1/M1 for a bunch of places, this does not apply to J1 and you need to get permission from the embassy.