Do you think that schools will be fully open by Fall 2021?

HI All,

Hope you guys are in good health. I am planning to apply for the Fall 2021 MS CS program. As an international student, I do not find the idea of expensive tuition for online education to be particularly enticing, so I was wondering if by Fall 2021 the colleges in countries like US and Canada would fully reopen and accept international students for on-campus studies. If not, I am thinking of skipping this admissions cycle.

Edited by PiyKat

• 5 months later...

@Kim2016I doubt it...Yale was upfront that they were not allowing deferrals this year--and others will do the same. I think considering last year's deferments and the fluctuation in intake, schools wont allow it. Too much risk. They need budget and headcount.

Even if we end up having class and access to facilities--which is the bare minimum IMB--I think the Class 2023 will be disadvantaged by the lack of in-person artists and critics at studio visits, which sort of diminishes the "attention boost" that artists typically get from their MFA program and its associated networks.

1 hour ago, everyonelikesbubbles said:

@Kim2016I doubt it...Yale was upfront that they were not allowing deferrals this year--and others will do the same. I think considering last year's deferments and the fluctuation in intake, schools wont allow it. Too much risk. They need budget and headcount.

Even if we end up having class and access to facilities--which is the bare minimum IMB--I think the Class 2023 will be disadvantaged by the lack of in-person artists and critics at studio visits, which sort of diminishes the "attention boost" that artists typically get from their MFA program and its associated networks.

I'm glad to see a MFA student here! I actually graduated from MFA in 2018 and applying for PhD for this cycle. So I'm hoping w/ PhD admissions deferral will be allowed given it's a 4-5 year commitment. 

A lot of this is going to depended on what state your school(s) are in too. From what I understand, universities in the states of California, Oregon, Washington, and New York are most restricted, but much of the rest of the country is attempting to at least remain open in a hybrid setup. In the US, a lot of those rules have been set at the state level, so it will really depend on that. Further, different univeristy systems will have their own rules. I know the UC system schools have opted to remain at distance for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. There's a good chance they will continue to do so unless something drastically changes.

If I'm mistaken on any part of this, please correct me, but this seems to be the case from what I've seen so far. I live in the US, for what it's worth.

• 1 month later...

More than 1 universities sent me their Plan and Expectations for international students. All of them seems to be optimistic. It is likely that 2021fall, schools will reopen and the travel controls will be relaxed.