Art Historians who study the history of museums/art institutions?

quinoanj

Hi everyone,

I swear I came across a couple of professors when I was last searching but can't find any of them/anyone similar to what I am looking for so I am seeking out help!

I'm interested in pursuing an art history Ph.d., especially in contemporary art. My research topics throughout undergrad and MA were always centered around artists (mostly digital artists) critiquing museums through their practices. Are there any professors you know of who focus on researching how museums/art institutions gathered power and authority and how they are challenged? I guess this falls into museology/museum studies a little bit but I want my focus to be on artists and artworks that specifically do this. 

Thanks for your help! 

I think any scholar working on contemporary art and social critique (so pretty much any scholar working on contemporary art!) would be able to advice a dissertation on this topic. Look widely and identify scholars whose methodological orientations mostly neatly align with yours. 

Alexander Alberro (Columbia) and Benjamin Buchloh (Harvard) have both written on Institutional Critique. Possibly some of their former advisees have also chosen this as an area of study and are now teaching at other institutions?