Recent International Relations grad looking to do PhD

Hi!

I recently graduated with my BA in IR and a math minor from a top 30 US university and have been seriously considering applying to PhD programs not this fall, but next fall. The uncertainty with Covid threw off my plans so now I am enrolled in an MS in applied econ for this fall and will also be working in a  quantitative analyst position at the same time. The masters will be finished next fall. My interests are mainly in political economy, development, etc. I have a good research project writing sample to submit from an independent project, but no formal research experience from undergrad. I am signed up for the GRE this fall and graduated with a 3.7. 

Would I be able to get into a decent poli sci PhD program if i apply next fall? or should I wait longer and do something else to strengthen my application? TIA!!!!

Edited by blahblah123!

On 8/25/2020 at 7:42 AM, blahblah123! said:

Hi!

I recently graduated with my BA in IR and a math minor from a top 30 US university and have been seriously considering applying to PhD programs not this fall, but next fall. The uncertainty with Covid threw off my plans so now I am enrolled in an MS in applied econ for this fall and will also be working in a  quantitative analyst position at the same time. The masters will be finished next fall. My interests are mainly in political economy, development, etc. I have a good research project writing sample to submit from an independent project, but no formal research experience from undergrad. I am signed up for the GRE this fall and graduated with a 3.7. 

Would I be able to get into a decent poli sci PhD program if i apply next fall? or should I wait longer and do something else to strengthen my application? TIA!!!!

I think you have a good shot. The GPA is a tad bit lower than they'd prefer, but you can make it up with other strong aspects of your application, especially a strong GRE showing and industry/MA experience. I'd say get in contact with LOR writers sooner rather than later, polish up your writing sample, and write a killer SOP early and revise often to get a nice final draft.

Also, as many will echo on this forum, fit matters, so start making a spreadsheet/list of places to apply with faculty of interest. I'd suggest going through the last few years of this forum to get a gist of what matters.

Good luck to you! Feel free to DM w/ any questions. :)