PhD intersection bioinformatics || policy making - how do I proceed?

complexgenome

Question

Dear all,

I'm currently doing bioinformatics research in human genetics in a niche area (neuro-genetics). I have had a great opportunity to research on some threatening public-health topics with genomics as tool to address them. Now, I definitely come to a point where I enjoy doing what I'm doing, in and out intense amount of data cranking. It is all hunky-dory, however I'd like to progress my career for several reasons: a) I'd like to do something more b) I'm stuck in middle of the hierarchy with my current education degree c) circuitous immigration paperwork that adds more complexity to point b.

I'd like to make progress policy making or towards to the finance side of the system where tonnes of data are used to reach to decisions and those policies affecting millions of people out there. But I don't know how to proceed. What PhD programs to aim for. I'd like to keep two components: 1) genetics as that is the backbone and would assist me to have an entry towards health policy making part. 2) policy or economics side. 

Below is my a brief outline of CV:

Education: MS (US) and UG (Asia) in Bioinformatics; CGPA: 3.8/4.0 in MS, 7/10 in UG

Work experience: 7 in total: 2 in IT, 5 in research (so far)

Research work experience

• Human genetics: 3 years
  • Bacteria: 3 years
  • Research Papers: Few second author, one first author, 2 first author in preparation. Decent impact factor for both second and first author
  • Posters: 3 first author, 2 second author

miscellaneous: R library Package development, Web skills minimal, Latex beginners' level, bash scripting, python beginner level and few other.

I'm based out of the US (east coast), would like to aim for Columbia, Harvard, Princeton (or that league). I did my MS from one of the top tech institutions (in the US). I've GRE score valid 315 (Quant: 160, Verbal: 155, AWA 4.0). 

I'm in early 30s if that is an important factor. 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet