Profile Evaluation Request

elnovice

Hello all,

I'm looking to apply to PhD programs in political science this upcoming cycle and I wanted to get a better understanding of what schools I should be targeting and applying to given the state of the application process right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm looking to apply pretty broadly. I'm targeting schools in the Top 15, but also in 20-35 range. 

PROFILE:

Undergrad Institution: Large R1 Top 50

Majors: Political Science and Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 overall, 3.9+ Pol Sci GPA 

GRE: 161-163V/162-164Q/5.5 AWA - My target schools have mostly made it not required/optional 

Any Special Courses: Econometrics/statistical analysis, independent undergrad thesis

Writing Sample: Planning to submit an excerpt from my undergraduate thesis which is closely related to my research interests. 

Letters of Recommendation: 3 strong LORs from professors who I have conducted research under and I had TA'd under

Research Experience: Research Assistant for numerous projects in both Pol Sci and Econ, applying relevant skills and training in methods and data analysis. Can't get it published, but hope to expand upon my undergraduate thesis in my graduate research.

Teaching Experience: Grader/TA for a couple of undergrad Pol Sci and Econ courses

Subfield/Research Interests: American Politics - Electoral Politics/Institutions

Other: Work experience throughout undergrad in various professional fields

Thank you again in advance and good luck to everyone in their cycles. 

Edited by elnovice

I think this is a competitive profile. Could be worth getting the Verbal up a bit, but this year is odd for the GRE so I understand not doing that. Overall GPA is a tad bit lower than ideal (most programs prefer 3.8+), but the Poli Sci GPA looks good.  Really work on polishing/refining your SOP and writing sample and you should get some good acceptances! Good luck!