GRE 169V/159Q unofficial - worth retake to improve quant score?

Took the GRE for the first time today and ended up with 169V and 159Q as my unofficial scores. Verbal was a pleasant surprise, though with the quant section nerves got the best of me and I ended up blanking on some questions, running out of time and having to guess... I already have a second attempt booked for the end of this month (had figured I might need to take it twice as I haven't taken math apart from statistics since high school!), but I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the time and effort getting the quant score up versus working on other components of my PhD applications.

For some context - I have a Canadian (T5 university but not as well known internationally) undergrad degree in politics (GPA would likely be 3.94-3.98 on the American scale depending on how you convert, departmental medalist) and a (T2) UK MPhil in politics, distinction on thesis and merit overall. Some undergrad summer research experience, undergrad and master's theses around 100 pages each. Intended sub-field is international relations (transitioning from comparative) with a minor in theory (though there's a couple departments where I'm considering applying to theory based on their orientation) and I tend toward the qualitative/interpretive side of things in terms of epistemology and methodology. Looking at programs in Canada and the US due to the better funding prospects than the UK/Europe - none of the so-called 'CHYMPS' as I don't really vibe with what they do there, but some of the lower ranked (say top 20-30?) departments where there's at least some people with a more critical bent.

So now I'm trying to decide what to prioritize - I could continue to practice on timing and strategy to get the quant score up a few more points as I realize it could be higher for admissions in general, though at risk of taking away from the time I have left to work on my statement and writing sample, which had been back-burnered more than they should have while I was relearning geometry and combinatorics... Most of the schools I'm looking at have made it optional this year with the pandemic except my top choice (though they haven't updated their admissions page so not too sure what's happening there) and two of the Canadian schools I'm considering - though with the pandemic I'm prepared to potentially have to re-apply a year from now given cuts to incoming cohort sizes and some programs cancelling their 2021 intake altogether. Thoughts?

Edited by Interpretivist

4 hours ago, Interpretivist said:

Took the GRE for the first time today and ended up with 169V and 159Q as my unofficial scores. Verbal was a pleasant surprise, though with the quant section nerves got the best of me and I ended up blanking on some questions, running out of time and having to guess... I already have a second attempt booked for the end of this month (had figured I might need to take it twice as I haven't taken math apart from statistics since high school!), but I'm wondering whether it's worth spending the time and effort getting the quant score up versus working on other components of my PhD applications.

For some context - I have a Canadian (T5 university but not as well known internationally) undergrad degree in politics (GPA would likely be 3.94-3.98 on the American scale depending on how you convert, departmental medalist) and a (T2) UK MPhil in politics, distinction on thesis and merit overall. Some undergrad summer research experience, undergrad and master's theses around 100 pages each. Intended sub-field is international relations (transitioning from comparative) with a minor in theory (though there's a couple departments where I'm considering applying to theory based on their orientation) and I tend toward the qualitative/interpretive side of things in terms of epistemology and methodology. Looking at programs in Canada and the US due to the better funding prospects than the UK/Europe - none of the so-called 'CHYMPS' as I don't really vibe with what they do there, but some of the lower ranked (say top 20-30?) departments where there's at least some people with a more critical bent.

So now I'm trying to decide what to prioritize - I could continue to practice on timing and strategy to get the quant score up a few more points as I realize it could be higher for admissions in general, though at risk of taking away from the time I have left to work on my statement and writing sample, which had been back-burnered more than they should have while I was relearning geometry and combinatorics... Most of the schools I'm looking at have made it optional this year with the pandemic except my top choice (though they haven't updated their admissions page so not too sure what's happening there) and two of the Canadian schools I'm considering - though with the pandemic I'm prepared to potentially have to re-apply a year from now given cuts to incoming cohort sizes and some programs cancelling their 2021 intake altogether. Thoughts?

In my view, no need to retake. Focus on other parts of your file instead. 
Yet, throw your net as broad as you can: the competition this year will be hellish!

You look pretty good, especially if you're not applying to do quant. However I highly recommend that you consider applying to some top programs as well: some of them are very methodologically diverse and your interests might change over time. A CHYMPS acceptance might change how much you "vibe" with what they do there!

On 10/2/2020 at 7:46 AM, smug-face said:

You look pretty good, especially if you're not applying to do quant. However I highly recommend that you consider applying to some top programs as well: some of them are very methodologically diverse and your interests might change over time. A CHYMPS acceptance might change how much you "vibe" with what they do there!

Totally agree with Smug here. You have a good profile and would be competitive for a top program - even with the lowerish quant score