Fall 2021 Application Cycle

daniaaa

Anyone here hoping for Fall 2021 intake? I figured I'd start the conversation off (hope I'm not the only one, lol!) 

I'm applying to Dalhousie, UBC, and UCLA!

Woo, I am not the only one! You give me hope, nitwhit. I honestly didn't plan on library school- though I currently work as a library assistant- and I feel like my timing is strange. I decided to apply in the middle of the pandemic mainly because of how my job expanded and had a greater impact as a result of the pandemic, but every time I think about it, I think to myself, "Wow, good timing!" How are you feeling about this year's apps? And are you also a fellow CA native?

23 hours ago, daniaaa said:

Woo, I am not the only one! You give me hope, nitwhit. I honestly didn't plan on library school- though I currently work as a library assistant- and I feel like my timing is strange. I decided to apply in the middle of the pandemic mainly because of how my job expanded and had a greater impact as a result of the pandemic, but every time I think about it, I think to myself, "Wow, good timing!" How are you feeling about this year's apps? And are you also a fellow CA native?

I honestly didn't plan on applying this year either, I thought I'd take another year off school and get more involved in some community volunteer work, but since the pandemic all my volunteer positions were shut down so ? I'm optimistic though, I hope I have a good shot, and trying to round up all the help I can get haha

And yup! I went to UCSD for my undergrad but I'm from LA so I really wanna work in the LA public system ☺️ Give back to my community and all that! You give me hope too yo! We got this!

10 minutes ago, nitwhit said:

And yup! I went to UCSD for my undergrad but I'm from LA so I really wanna work in the LA public system ☺️ Give back to my community and all that! You give me hope too yo! We got this!

No kidding, I am a UCSD grad too! Graduated from Revelle in 2017 :) also working @ Geisel! 

Super cool you want to work in the LA public system. I hear really good things about it (and also recently read The Library Book by Susan Orlean, which was wild but full of community-oriented librarians and interesting history about LAPL). 

2 hours ago, daniaaa said:

No kidding, I am a UCSD grad too! Graduated from Revelle in 2017 :) also working @ Geisel! 

Super cool you want to work in the LA public system. I hear really good things about it (and also recently read The Library Book by Susan Orlean, which was wild but full of community-oriented librarians and interesting history about LAPL). 

What?! No way! I also worked at Geisel! I started in 2017 with the DLDP in the basement :00 What department were you in? (Also just checked out that book you mentioned, sounds like it's right up my alley!) 

5 hours ago, nitwhit said:

What?! No way! I also worked at Geisel! I started in 2017 with the DLDP in the basement :00 What department were you in? (Also just checked out that book you mentioned, sounds like it's right up my alley!) 

I was in Metadata til September 2017, started in CARS Feb 2018. Love the peeps in DLDP :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am applying to University of Michigan, Pitt, Simmons and SJSU. I am a bit worried because I took medical leave that looks a bit chaotic in my transcript history. I am looking to address it in my statement of purpose without letting it take up the whole word count. I do have a lot of professional experience under my belt and I know that my recent work history will really help me! I'm looking to go into YA/Children's services.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello @shelved and @cartof! It's nice to see a couple more applicants. 

On 10/25/2020 at 12:00 PM, shelved said:

I am a bit worried because I took medical leave that looks a bit chaotic in my transcript history. I am looking to address it in my statement of purpose without letting it take up the whole word count. 

I've seen it said on the Reddit forums (I'm following r/librarians and r/libraryscience pretty religiously these days, because the panic is starting to set in!) that that's exactly what the "extra" space in the applications is for- to explain anomalies in one's transcript. I'm sure the work history will trump it! Where do you work?

On 11/2/2020 at 7:51 PM, daniaaa said:

Hello @shelved and @cartof! It's nice to see a couple more applicants. 

I've seen it said on the Reddit forums (I'm following r/librarians and r/libraryscience pretty religiously these days, because the panic is starting to set in!) that that's exactly what the "extra" space in the applications is for- to explain anomalies in one's transcript. I'm sure the work history will trump it! Where do you work?

Sorry for the delay in response! I work at a local credit union. So that's sort of community-based and certainly people-focused.

• 4 months later...

Hey all! Finally got my last decision today :) I got accepted into URI, Indiana (Bloomington), Maryland, UIUC, UCLA, and Michigan!

My top three schools are UIUC, UCLA, and Michigan, but I'm having a hard time making a decision. Living in LA scares the hell out of me as someone from a smaller place, but as someone who dreams of going into film archival work, their internship options, placement, and coursework opportunities are unmatched. I know I can't go wrong at UIUC, but as a queer person who may also begin some gender transition stuff in the next year, they don't seem to have as many resources as Michigan or UCLA. I'm totally in love with Michigan, and it's the top archives program, but it's significantly more expensive. I'm waiting to hear back on funding though, because they do tend to offer generous aid packages. I also really love the amount of resources and support available for LGBTQ people there. Anyone have any advice?

1 hour ago, met221 said:

Hey all! Finally got my last decision today :) I got accepted into URI, Indiana (Bloomington), Maryland, UIUC, UCLA, and Michigan!

My top three schools are UIUC, UCLA, and Michigan, but I'm having a hard time making a decision. Living in LA scares the hell out of me as someone from a smaller place, but as someone who dreams of going into film archival work, their internship options, placement, and coursework opportunities are unmatched. I know I can't go wrong at UIUC, but as a queer person who may also begin some gender transition stuff in the next year, they don't seem to have as many resources as Michigan or UCLA. I'm totally in love with Michigan, and it's the top archives program, but it's significantly more expensive. I'm waiting to hear back on funding though, because they do tend to offer generous aid packages. I also really love the amount of resources and support available for LGBTQ people there. Anyone have any advice?

I wouldn't be scared about moving to LA, it's personally one of my favorite cities in the country (although I might be a little biased since that's where I'm from lol). The social justice focus of the program is also a huge bonus for me, and it seems like something that might be up your alley as well.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:15 PM, met221 said:

Congratulations on your acceptances, met221! Looks like you're facing the best kind of decision- tough, but you win either way. I'm echoing cartof above (hello, slightly northern neighbor! I'm from SD!). LA is a superb city. Its size works for it in many ways. It's old and new at the same time. You can visit a vintage bowling alley in Highland Park and eat breakfast tacos at the brand-new place next door to it. It's diverse- in geography, people, media, thought, and food. And some of the neighborhoods are very tight-knit and self-contained; you'll find a lot of community. I have a friend living in Long Beach now who still drives up to Pasadena to go to his old temple, for example. 

I hope you hear about funding soon, and good luck making the decision :) 

Hi all - currently deciding between a few programs (right now, Toronto, UNC, and Michigan) and waiting to hear about funding for all three.  Does anyone have any insight about how/when Michigan releases funding packages for the information master's?  I have been emailing but have yet to hear anything.  Ditto for Toronto.  I heard from UNC that their funding decisions have been delayed due to budget cuts and am wondering if that's the case across the board.

On 3/24/2021 at 12:44 PM, cerfblanc1191 said:

Hi all - currently deciding between a few programs (right now, Toronto, UNC, and Michigan) and waiting to hear about funding for all three.  Does anyone have any insight about how/when Michigan releases funding packages for the information master's?  I have been emailing but have yet to hear anything.  Ditto for Toronto.  I heard from UNC that their funding decisions have been delayed due to budget cuts and am wondering if that's the case across the board.

Wish I had an answer for you, but I'm also in the same situation. I'm also waiting on Michigan funding information. April 15th feels so close and I would really like to commit to a program already. Did you get contacted last Friday to send in additional forms (2019 tax return and a Michigan-created information form)? I'm wondering if they asked for that from everyone or if only people they're considering were asked to send that stuff in. 

14 minutes ago, met221 said:

Wish I had an answer for you, but I'm also in the same situation. I'm also waiting on Michigan funding information. April 15th feels so close and I would really like to commit to a program already. Did you get contacted last Friday to send in additional forms (2019 tax return and a Michigan-created information form)? I'm wondering if they asked for that from everyone or if only people they're considering were asked to send that stuff in. 

Nope, I didn't get contacted for any of that from Michigan -- who knows what that means! Like you said, I'd rather know one way or the other now so I can just move on... seems like Michigan has kept people waiting a long time in previous years too.

Hey y'all, I have a conundrum I'm hoping you can weigh in on. I got into both UBC and UCLA. I'm in California, so I could pay the in-state tuition for UCLA (think the sticker price is around $17,000, I don't have the actual number on me!). I'd be an international student at UBC, on the other hand, but the international tuition there is $9,700CAD (with the exchange rate, that brings it down to about $8,700USD, so.... half of what I'd pay at UCLA.) 

I was waiting to hear back on any sort of UCLA funding, and emailed the graduate coordinator in a panic. I just heard back from her on TAships and research opportunities, it basically says "if you want a TAship, pursue it with another department. Research opportunities are rare, but some MLIS students can work on grant with [list of professors]."

Does anyone have insight into other UCLA funding opportunities? I don't think I can bet a full $17,000 in tuition for a research opportunity that might not even be there. UCLA is closer to home and it's definitely where my family would prefer I go, haha. UBC is gorgeous, and I feel confident I'd succeed there- especially having spoken to one professor already and applied hoping to join their Design for People program. UCLA can't be beat for internship opportunities, but I intend to work more on open access issues than take advantage of the specific film and media opportunities it offers.... the list goes on. Opinions?

• 2 weeks later...

Finally bit the bullet and committed to UCLA last night (media archival studies track)! I had been waiting on Michigan funding info for weeks, but that program is so disorganized I had a feeling it wasn't coming before April 15, and even if I did get some funding, it probably wouldn't even match what my costs at UCLA would be since the sticker price alone at Michigan is nearly double that of UCLA. Crazy application cycle for sure!

8 hours ago, met221 said:

Finally bit the bullet and committed to UCLA last night (media archival studies track)! I had been waiting on Michigan funding info for weeks, but that program is so disorganized I had a feeling it wasn't coming before April 15, and even if I did get some funding, it probably wouldn't even match what my costs at UCLA would be since the sticker price alone at Michigan is nearly double that of UCLA. Crazy application cycle for sure!

Congratulations met221!