help with my friends application

Hi everyone, 

I am looking for some help with my friends application. My friend would like to apply to biostats phd programs and is currently creating a list of schools. I am not much help as I am applying to med school so I don't have much knowledge on grad school applications. 

Undergrad Institute: small private liberal arts college on the east coast. (top 51 national liberal arts colleges according to U.S. News) 

GPA: 3.69

GRE general test

Q: 157

V: 152

W: not sure

Type of student: domestic female

Program applying: PhD in Biostatistics, also thinking of masters in Biostatistics. 

Research Experience

1. Did one presentation for biology and  one presentation for chemistry, both involved R studio. 
  2. Intern for Bioinformatics research that involved python. 
  3. Tutor this term

Letters of Recommendation:  Two are from previous professors and one from advisor. 

coursework:  derivative/integrals (A), integrals/series (A-), Linear algebra (B+), intro comp sci/prob solv (A), discrete math (B+), intro to stats (A), multivarible calc (A), probability(A-), advance regression technique (A), complex analysis (A), intro to time series anaysis( A), mathmathical stats (A-) 

She is currently taking real analysis, statistical computing with R and statistical consulting this term. 

My friend would prefer to apply to more schools who don't require the GRE   

If anyone has recommendations about what schools to look into that would be great! Thank you !

Edit: Format

Edited by FruityPebbles
adding more information

Look at some of the other posts for the format. You're missing some crucial information including what type of undergraduate institution (this profile is very different for a Harvard student than a small unknown college), and math coursework and grades.  The GRE Q score will be a significant negative that will keep her out of many programs. I would recommend only applying to schools that are not requiring the GRE this year. 

18 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Look at some of the other posts for the format. You're missing some crucial information including what type of undergraduate institution (this profile is very different for a Harvard student than a small unknown college), and math coursework and grades.  The GRE Q score will be a significant negative that will keep her out of many programs. I would recommend only applying to schools that are not requiring the GRE this year. 

Thank you, I just edited the format. I hope I did it right. 

There is still some important information missing. If your friend goes to a top 10 liberal arts college, has taken real analysis and gotten As in most math classes, and does not have to send in her GRE scores, she could get into top 10 programs. If the math grades are subpar and from an unknown college, they will struggle to get into top 60 programs, especially if she has to send her GRE score.

27 minutes ago, bayessays said:

There is still some important information missing. If your friend goes to a top 10 liberal arts college, has taken real analysis and gotten As in most math classes, and does not have to send in her GRE scores, she could get into top 10 programs. If the math grades are subpar and from an unknown college, they will struggle to get into top 60 programs, especially if she has to send her GRE score.

How does it look now? Thank you. 

Your friend may be slightly more competitive than usual this year because, as others have noted, their GRE is a major weakness and many programs are not requiring it. That said, they should probably be looking outside the top 10 Biostat programs for PhD admission. However, they would likely be admitted to many Masters programs, even some in ranked in the top 5.