Profile Eval Request

Hi all,

I am currently working through the application process and would love some advice about how to strengthen my application / advice on how it looks right now as is. I appreciate all of your help in advance!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad Institution: Honors program at medium-sized, private top 100 university

Major(s)/Minor(s): Political Science, Spanish

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 161 V / 158 Q (I think I should probably retake, but curious what others' thoughts are)

Any Special Courses: Calculus I, Calculus II, Advanced Statistics, Methods

Writing Sample: I'm planning to use a term research paper that I wrote for an Economic Development senior seminar.

Letters of Recommendation: Strong letters from three undergrad professors who have chaired my undergraduate thesis + I've worked for one of them as an RA.

Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, presented independent research at MPSA conference, worked as an RA to edit a book chapter for one of my undergrad profs

Subfield/Research Interests: International Relations (Security Studies)

With all of that being said, I'm planning to apply to top 10 schools - Princeton, Harvard, etc. - even though I know this may be a bit of a stretch (especially this year) as well as other top 25 institutions. I'm curious if you all have thoughts about what schools are realistic, how to improve my application, etc. Thank you all so much!

I'm not exactly sure what other than GRE can you improve given that, as I understand, you are applying this Fall. Is your question: should I retake the GRE? Well, my suggestion then is: yes, if you can, do retake the GRE. The Q score seems on the low end for top 10 IR. 

Yeah if you want an honest shot at the CHYMPS you want to push that combined GRE closer to 330 than 320: just a couple more points on each section would be really helpful. You're probably fine on the lower end of the top 25 as is, but if you think you can improve on the GRE (especially quant section), a top 10 school isn't out of the reach.