Word Counts on SoP?

How strict are the word limits on SoPs?

UCLA's PhD program asks for a Statement of Purpose that is "up to 500 words in length (approximately 1-page, single spaced, using 1-inch margins and 12-point font)." 

Currently I have 543 words (single-spaced, all on one page) and I'm not totally sure what to cut without having to do a rewrite. Do you think it's important that I cut those 43 words, or is it close enough not to hurt me in the process?

32 minutes ago, TylerJarvis said:

How strict are the word limits on SoPs?

UCLA's PhD program asks for a Statement of Purpose that is "up to 500 words in length (approximately 1-page, single spaced, using 1-inch margins and 12-point font)." 

Currently I have 543 words (single-spaced, all on one page) and I'm not totally sure what to cut without having to do a rewrite. Do you think it's important that I cut those 43 words, or is it close enough not to hurt me in the process?

I would look for ways to get under the 500 word limit.

• I would start by looking at my longer sentences for opportunities to write more efficiently. [15 words]
  • I would write more efficiently. [5 words]