NSF GRFP - History of Science

sciencehistorian

The NSF GRFP specifically permits applications from individuals interested in pursuing graduate degrees in the history of science (as opposed to history broadly, or other specializations).

I am still 1 to 2 years out from applying to any post-undergraduate program, but as a student interested in the history of medicine, has anyone here had any success with getting the NSF to fund a Master's or PhD in the history of science? Or even an adjacent field, like medical anthropology? I am curious as to whether this funding source is actually viable for social sciences / humanities folks.

I don't know of anyone who has gotten the GRFP, but I do know several people in my program have picked up dissertation research awards from the NSF under their Science and Technology Studies division.

My very rudimentary impression is that any NSF-funded project has to shed light on a scientific discipline, or if you do history of medicine, medical science. I know I looked into applying for some NSF money once, but it wasn't a great fit, even though I study health care— my project was/is more focused on things like hospital operations and staffing shortages, not how patients responded to medical treatments, how medical technologies were developed/used in hospital contexts, the social history of medical disciplines like cardiology, psychiatry, obstetrics, etc.

I'd recommend searching through the NSF website to see what kinds of projects have been funded, too.

Edited by gsc

• 1 month later...
On 10/20/2020 at 8:14 AM, gsc said:

I'd recommend searching through the NSF website to see what kinds of projects have been funded, too.

For anyone curious, it appears 2 out of 2,000 awards last year were for topics under the history and philosophy of science (search here). Another 3 were for medical anthropology. If you like taking long shots, here's your chance (although I suppose we don't know how many HPS applicants they receive)!

Edited by sciencehistorian