SOP for program with lab rotations

phdhopeful96

Hi all - does anyone have experience writing SOPs for programs that require first-year rotations? The majority of my programs require you to be accepted to work in the lab of a specific program mentor as soon as you start in the program, and thus ask that you name this potential PI and explain why they would be a good fit in your SOP. One of my programs does first-year rotations instead (three 3-month rotations in the first year with a "permanent" mentor chosen during the second year). The only reason this program is on my list is because there is a PI with whom I would like to work, and I would definitely plan to choose her as my "permanent" mentor as she is the only faculty member studying my particular interest.

I'm wondering if I should name her in my SOP, similarly to what I plan to do for my other programs? The instructions on the website do not provide instruction either way. There are a few other faculty members I could name as well for who I would want to apply for rotations in their labs, but I'm wondering if this is standard practice for a rotation based program? Thanks!