Need Help Searching For University that Specialize in 19-20 Continental Philosophy or Philosophy of Religion

SaltyAF0091

Hello Everyone

I am undergraduate student from third-world country in Asia. I want to move to US to study philosophy in 2022-2023 for post-graduate programs. I try to find university that specialize in 19-20 continental and philosophy of religion program but all the sources that I found is considerable as outdate because it was wrote in 2014-2015 or older than that. Can anyone here help me find source or recommend me about University that fit in my needs?

Sorry for my bad English skill, English is not my native language.

The Pluralist's Guide has been a good source for finding programs in continental philosophy: https://sites.psu.edu/pluralistsguide/program-recommendations/continental-philosophy/

You could also check out the SPEP (Society for Phenomenology and Existential Philosophy) website, I think they have a spot somewhere with recommendations for programs: http://www.spep.org/

There really isn’t a great up to date list. As Olorin (sorry don’t know how to do the accent mark!) noted, the SPEP guide is a good one, but they list some programs that used to be more continental but no longer really are.

What philosophers are you most interested in or what topics? That should be your guide.

So, the Pluralist's Guide has actually moved sites, and the list is updated here (2019/2020): https://sites.google.com/view/pluralist-guide-to-philosophy/program-recommendations/continental-philosophy?authuser=0. From what I've seen looking through programs, a lot (though certainly not all) of the continental-leaning Catholic/Jesuit universities have people working in philosophy of religion (e.g., Boston College, Georgetown, Loyola, etc.). That said, I don't know about the realities on the ground--this is just from their department pages and the specializations listed by the professors, and it seems like sometimes these aren't updated as frequently as one would like. 

But I definitely agree with @UndergradDad in that it might be better to focus in on specific philosophers/topics to narrow down your search, as the continental tradition covers a pretty big spectrum of philosophies and certain programs that may have strengths in one part of the continental tradition may not have strengths in others, so you really have to parse through current and past courses and professors' specializations (and if you have the time, recent publications) to get a better feel of things. 

17 hours ago, maxhgns said:

Just be careful: not all of those schools fully fund all of their PhD students (most do, but a few don't).

Also, you should probably avoid Villanova, which has had problems with racism for years, and I don't think they've worked them out yet.

do you per chance know which of those schools don't fully fund all of their PhD students? ?  

And good to know about Villanova--I hadn't heard that that was a problem there.

• 2 weeks later...