transferring bc of the pandemic

transferring because of the pandemic

just wanted some opinions on the choices i made. 

i’m from PA and got into chapman university out in orange california. it’s a great school and i love all the faculty, but bc of this pandemic everything has been online. i felt so isolated being 3,000 miles away from my family friends and boyfriend, and knew covid would prevent me from traveling for the holidays and what not. the feeling of isolation and unfamiliarity took a toll on my mental health so i’ve decided to withdraw from chapman at the end of my trimester on december 18th, and move back home. by the grace of god i got accepted into NYU online speech program which starts in jan, so i’m not really losing anything academically. i guess i’m just feeling kind of guilty about leaving chapman, but right now wasn’t the best time to relocate 3000 miles away from my home. thoughts?

12 hours ago, toriacevedo100 said:

transferring because of the pandemic

just wanted some opinions on the choices i made. 

i’m from PA and got into chapman university out in orange california. it’s a great school and i love all the faculty, but bc of this pandemic everything has been online. i felt so isolated being 3,000 miles away from my family friends and boyfriend, and knew covid would prevent me from traveling for the holidays and what not. the feeling of isolation and unfamiliarity took a toll on my mental health so i’ve decided to withdraw from chapman at the end of my trimester on december 18th, and move back home. by the grace of god i got accepted into NYU online speech program which starts in jan, so i’m not really losing anything academically. i guess i’m just feeling kind of guilty about leaving chapman, but right now wasn’t the best time to relocate 3000 miles away from my home. thoughts?

I understand feeling isolated and loneliness takes a toll on one's well-being. You gotta do what is best for you. If I were in your shoes, I could see myself doing the same thing. Always put yourself first. You shouldn't feel guilty for putting your mental health etc first. Best of luck to you! Congrats on getting into the NYU online program :) 

Edited by Liza_Ann_92
edit words

• 1 year later...

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I made an account just to respond to this and let you know that you're not alone! I too relocated thousands of miles away from home to go to school in California in the fall of 2019, right before the pandemic began, and the isolation and loneliness has been unbearable. In addition to not being able to visit my family, the pandemic has been a huge obstacle in building new friendships, bonding with my lab mates, and getting to know my new town - and that's setting aside how much it has delayed and interfered with my research due to cancelled field seasons and supply chain issues. My mental health has suffered so badly during my time in this program that I am also considering leaving if things don't improve in the next year.... so you're not alone! You made the best choice for you, and that's something no one should ever feel guilty about. I wish you much happiness and success in your new program!

Edited by Scuttlefish