Do you need Latin for all MA degrees?

sacklunch

Long story short I am starting an MTS (theology) this fall at BC. I thought about getting a second master's degree after this one is done, before heading to a phd program. I already have three semesters of Attic Greek from undergrad, and will have more in grad school. I have no Latin, and likely won't take any in the future. But, do I need to? I thought I had seen some programs that focused on one of the two languages.

thanks

-Nick

Hi, Wagnern!

I assume you are going to be using your Greek during the MTS for study of the Greek Testament and perhaps the Septuagint. In my opinion, it would be useful to have Latin, even if your period of theological study is prior to the late second century, because many secondary sources were written in Latin by later writers. Engaging with their work in the original language would only help your research and future applications.

Many Biblical Studies Ph.D. programs will require that another ancient language be obtained in addition to Greek and Hebrew, and Latin will be one of the options. To begin it during your MTS will put you another step forward. However, if Biblical Studies is your goal, you will also need Hebrew and, if you haven't yet begun, it would probably be best to begin Hebrew in your first year of the MTS and perhaps Latin in your second.

If you are interested in pursing a Ph.D. in Classics, then you would be able to concentrate in Greek or Latin. However, the post-baccalaureate descriptions I have seen say the strongest applications have both. I assume this is even more necessary at the doctoral level.

Hi, Wagnern!

I assume you are going to be using your Greek during the MTS for study of the Greek Testament and perhaps the Septuagint. In my opinion, it would be useful to have Latin, even if your period of theological study is prior to the late second century, because many secondary sources were written in Latin by later writers. Engaging with their work in the original language would only help your research and future applications.

Many Biblical Studies Ph.D. programs will require that another ancient language be obtained in addition to Greek and Hebrew, and Latin will be one of the options. To begin it during your MTS will put you another step forward. However, if Biblical Studies is your goal, you will also need Hebrew and, if you haven't yet begun, it would probably be best to begin Hebrew in your first year of the MTS and perhaps Latin in your second.

If you are interested in pursing a Ph.D. in Classics, then you would be able to concentrate in Greek or Latin. However, the post-baccalaureate descriptions I have seen say the strongest applications have both. I assume this is even more necessary at the doctoral level.

Thanks! I know first I will need Hebrew. I agree that Latin would be useful for biblical studies, specifically 200CE onward, but the problem is time. I also should have a reading comp of German or French, which I will also need to worry about while doing my MTS. So I will do more Greek, start Hebrew, possibly a summer language course in German or French, then maybe Latin if I have time....that's a lot of language :).

On doing a classics degree, I was speaking about an MA, not a phd. I would get the phd in theology most likely.

thanks

-Nick

A post-bacc is probably your best option if you want to strengthen your languages, particularly Latin. You will have an incredibly difficult time finding your way into a Classics MA program (at least one with any sort of reputation) with no Latin.

A post-bacc is probably your best option if you want to strengthen your languages, particularly Latin. You will have an incredibly difficult time finding your way into a Classics MA program (at least one with any sort of reputation) with no Latin.

I thought some MA programs focused on either Latin or Greek? It might be called something like "MA in Greek."

-Nick

Some schools do this, but Latin is almost always required. It would be very very difficult, I think, to find a place that would allow you to do Greek and only Greek. Most places that offer a Greek MA do this on the assumption that Greek is just the stronger of the two languages, and that the student will eventually earn a PhD in classics. This is just my experience, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Some schools do this, but Latin is almost always required. It would be very very difficult, I think, to find a place that would allow you to do Greek and only Greek. Most places that offer a Greek MA do this on the assumption that Greek is just the stronger of the two languages, and that the student will eventually earn a PhD in classics. This is just my experience, so please correct me if I am wrong.

+1 - This is my experience too.