Harder to get into MPA/MPP programs for Fall 2021?

izzywho

Hi everyone!

I read an article a while ago basically saying that MBA applications increased significantly after the 08 financial crisis because of the bad job market.

I was curious if anyone has any thoughts on how the COVID would affect the difficulty of getting into top MPP or MPA programs?

My guess is that the competition among domestic students could significantly increase, both because of deferred enrollment for fall 2020 and people's tendency to wait out a bad job market. It's hard to say for international students, but Biden's win and progress in vaccine could definitely boost optimism (visa, COVID, etc) and application # too.

I'd appreciate your insight!!

fyi, I'm an international student. I applied to SIPA & Harris and will apply for one more school soon.

Edited by izzywho

2 hours ago, izzywho said:

Hi everyone!

I read an article a while ago basically saying that MBA applications increased significantly after the 08 financial crisis because of the bad job market.

I was curious if anyone has any thoughts on how the COVID would affect the difficulty of getting into top MPP or MPA programs?

My guess is that the competition among domestic students could significantly increase, both because of deferred enrollment for fall 2020 and people's tendency to wait out a bad job market. It's hard to say for international students, but Biden's win and progress in vaccine could definitely boost optimism (visa, COVID, etc) and application # too.

I'd appreciate your insight!!

fyi, I'm an international student. I applied to SIPA & Harris and will apply for one more school soon.

I think your sentiments are directionally correct. However no one knows the extent of the impact because policy schools don’t release numbers. I think it will vary greatly by school. 

For the elite schools HKS and Princeton it probably got a lot more competitive. However the further down you go the prestige line, impacts will likely moderate. Less prestige schools have to compete with:

1. New policy programs that are being started, expanding the supply of seats

2. Specialty Masters being started (like U. Penn’s social policy MS), draining away some demand.

Additionally, there has been a noticeable drop of Chinese international students going to Policy school since the mid 2010’s, further reducing demand pressures.

One key thing to appreciate is that in person MPP programs are cash cows for Universitys, but MBAs are not (they are often still profitable but not as profitable).

Edited by GradSchoolGrad