How specific/detailed should my research interests be?

Hi! This is my first posting on Gradcafe. This site has been a tremendous help for me to prepare for my application, so I want to first thank you guys for that :)

I'm an international student applying for English PhD program for Fall 2021, and I know it's late to ask this, but I was wondering how specific my research interests should be in my SOP.

In my 500-words SOP, I stated my area of interest and topics I would like to further explore by asking multiple questions I want to address in my PhD (which I think are a good fit with the faculty of the school I'm applying to), but no specific texts. While others who'd proofread my SOP have told me they think it's pretty competitive, my MA thesis advisor is telling me my research interests should be much more detailed, almost like a thesis proposal for a dissertation. I'm afraid it means I'll have to write the SOP all over again to fit the word limit at this stage of the application, and now I'm worrying over whether to write my research interests anew as my advisor said.

Can anyone give me their opinion on the matter? + I'd really appreciate anyone who'll proofread my SOP.

Thanks!

Edited by arrowseeker

1 hour ago, arrowseeker said:

[M]y MA thesis advisor is telling me my research interests should be much more detailed, almost like a thesis proposal for a dissertation.

The professor who knows your work best has given you helpful but challenging guidance. You can do it!