Carnegie Mellon Deadline

Is it only me who was misguided but Carnegie Mellon recently changed their deadline of application? I made a google sheet of all the universities along with their deadlines about a month ago, and came back yesterday after the final exams.  Back then Carnegie Mellon listed their deadline as December 18, I checked their website last night and their deadline was Dec 1, which fortunately was moved to Dec 4 because of a system outage. I submitted the application in rush as I had most of the materials ready but I do not know when my references will submit the letters. Their website says that the letters need to be processed by the deadline. 

I just wanted to check here if I misread the deadline last month or was it moved half way through November. If it was changed, I wanted to email them and ask if they can extend the deadline for my letters for a week. But I do not want to embarass myself if the deadline has always been Dec 1. 

CMU has some old website application pages still up with links that refer to December 18th without mentioning a year - this link is probably what you saw.

https://apply.stat.cmu.edu/apply/offline.php

I think I was confused by this same thing last year, but last year their deadline was also the 1st I believe.  I would just email and explain and see what they say. A few days late for letters usually isn't the end of the world.

Yeah, I was surprised. CMU has always been my dream school and I probably checked more than 10 times until first week of November. But I did not check after that until this week due to final exams. I emailed them and the admission officer asked me to have the letters emailed to them rather than upload it on the portal. I could totally have misread but I wanted to check if anyone else noticed that as well. If it was the case, we will probably have some more people expressing that concern here as Dec 18 approaches.

It's also possible they will accept your reference letters/SOP over email, cash your check for the application fee, and never read your application (it happened to me). They then got very rude when I pointed out they had made a mistake. (CMU waitlisted me, one of the only stat depts that didn't accept me).

So, be very very clear over email. And, if you see a bunch of acceptances go out and you haven't heard anything, email them ASAP. 

• 3 weeks later...