Mention other universities?yes/no

JMJt

Hello!

I will be applying to PsyD in clinical psych for Fall 2021. One of the uni to which I will be applying has asked in the application whether I'll be applying to other universities and state their names? Should I state the other universities names or state none(lie)? Thank you!

I always find this weird. It probably for institutional data purposes rather than evaluating your app. I usually list two or three but I don't think it matters too much.

In an interview context, I'd be delicate of how you approach the question. I'd err on the side of "I am applying to a few others or also considering X, but your program really stands out to me because of Y so I'm really excited to be here" 

PhD program faculty here. I can't speak to PsyD programs, but when PhD programs ask this, we're generally checking to see if your selected programs are consistent with your stated training goals. For example, if an applicant has applied to research-oriented and also clinically-oriented programs, we question the degree to which the person is interested in research. Also we know which programs have training opportunities (i.e., specific PIs) in our own specialty areas, so if the applicant states a fit with a depression research lab, but none of the other programs listed have depression researchers, then we question the actual topical fit. I found the latter (which happens often) extremely odd until I understood how many applicants apply to all programs within a certain geographic area, regardless of actual fit.

You lose nothing by listing some/all and being honest about it unless you fit one of the two above scenarios. As faculty we're really motivated to identify students who will be happy in our programs, and that requires careful attention to fit, so that's why some programs ask. Hope that helps, and good luck!

On 12/12/2020 at 10:50 PM, citypsych said:

PhD program faculty here. I can't speak to PsyD programs, but when PhD programs ask this, we're generally checking to see if your selected programs are consistent with your stated training goals. For example, if an applicant has applied to research-oriented and also clinically-oriented programs, we question the degree to which the person is interested in research. Also we know which programs have training opportunities (i.e., specific PIs) in our own specialty areas, so if the applicant states a fit with a depression research lab, but none of the other programs listed have depression researchers, then we question the actual topical fit. I found the latter (which happens often) extremely odd until I understood how many applicants apply to all programs within a certain geographic area, regardless of actual fit.

You lose nothing by listing some/all and being honest about it unless you fit one of the two above scenarios. As faculty we're really motivated to identify students who will be happy in our programs, and that requires careful attention to fit, so that's why some programs ask. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Thank you...it's better to state none for a PsyD program I guess.