How could I increase my chances of getting into a Master's in Science and Communication Disorders program (SLP)?

lmama808

Question

I currently have a bachelor's in health science. After working at many schools as an instructional assistant, I found out about speech language pathology and completely fell in love with the field. It's hard for me to get any experience because of the virus. I was a substitute teacher for the special education programs in my area, but lost that job due to the virus as well. As of now, I work as an ABA behavior tech and I do get to work directly with children with autism. I've applied to 3 different schools, but I have been rejected to each one. My grades in the past weren't that great and my overall GPA is at a 3.1. Many graduate schools are also not requiring the GRE, which maybe could have helped me out if I tried to take the test. How could I increase my chances of getting in and become a stronger candidate? A part of me wants to give up, but this is something I really want to do and achieve. I've tried messaging the schools to see what I could have done better, but I have not received any feedback from them. I'm not sure where to go from here or what direction I should take. I would appreciate it if I could get some help. 

2 answers to this question

ASHA Ed Find is a great tool to help find a school that fits with your grades/scores & future goals.  The listed scores and GPA’s change each year based on each accepted cohort, to use merely as a guide as you decide which schools you may apply to.  I also recommend reaching out to the grad advisor/program coordinator to learn about their program’s requirements as an out of field student because there is usually a requirement of 25 observation hours so learning how you can achieve that is important.  You can usually take the pre-req’s once accepted before beginning masters classes. Best wishes!