Welp... late recommendation letter

worstfear

Somehow I've found myself in the rather cliché position of not being able to track down a mysteriously MIA letter writer. I've been trying to reach this person with an escalating amount of panic, but I acted too slowly. By the time I'd exhausted all means of getting this prof to answer me and send my letter, the Harvard 5 PM EST deadline had passed. I'd added another letter writer when I realized this person may never answer me, but that letter still came after 5. 

So...  ... have any previous applicants been in this position? What happened to your application? 

I can think of thousands of things I could have done differently, but what happened happened. At this point I just want to know if my application is going to be read and if the letter that arrived at 5:30 will be included. Thoughts? 

PS - I did contact admissions but I expect it to take a little while before I hear back. 

10 minutes ago, Rehana202 said:

My understanding is that late letters are fine, as long as they aren't too late. As in, later than a week after the deadline or so. Can anyone else weigh in on this? 

I know of someone who had a letter submitted two weeks late due to illness. They e-mailed the program post deadline to let them know. They were still accepted. Professors generally know that other professors are busy because they're also likely writing letters for students to get into other programs. They also know it is outside of your control so I would try not to stress over it.