Results forum silliness

I just think it's funny that there are folks over at the results form suggesting that English PhD applicants be banned from posting due to some ongoing bickering regarding a Harvard applicant who posted the following: "3.3 GPA, 620 Verbal, 500 Math, 540 GRE Lit, one of my recommenders was Skip Gates. I'm really excited but I got in absolutely everywhere I applied."

Perhaps this is a more suitable forum for discussing the issue, so...um, those stats do seem a bit low for Harvard. Even if we assume that the poster did their undergrad there, it's kind of shocking that they would let someone in with GRE scores like that. This not to disparage the op's stats. MY GRE scores are actually quite similar. That said, I didn't apply Harvard because I knew that I would be better off shoving my application fee in a paper shredder. So, is it possible that a "superstar" professor's lor carries that much cachet. Granted, there is a lot about the applicant we don't know, but gosh, so much for meritocracy, eh?

That said, I'm not so sure I even believe the post is legit. Color me skeptical.

Thoughts?

No disrespect to the OP, but I did wonder myself at that entry. In some respects, it could be read as a well-tailored troll, especially the line "I got in absolutely everywhere else," so I'm not surprised at the responses it garnered. The word "absolutely" raises a flag with me. It could just be some well-earned enthusiasm, but still...

It's interesting that many of the responders read it as an example of inter-departmental nepotism rather than in a more positive light, which would be that even if your stats aren't pushing the 99th percentile in all regards you can still be competitive at places like Harvard. My own stats, in relation to the OP's, were a bit higher, but not significantly so, and I didn't make it into any ivies this time around. There's a lot we don't know: maybe the personal statement was dynamite, or the writing and and work were a perfect match for what the department was looking for.

Harvard is probably just jealous that Yale got all the "best" and "brightest" of the Clinton and Bush families. Thus, they've lowered their standards in hopes of attracting more slackers from the aristocracy who are being groomed to become politicians. =)

That, or Harvard's library is about to get a new wing donated. lol

Either way, save me a spot on the skepticism bandwagon.

Hrm. To be honest the "Other, Other" messages are driving me mad! I don't mind the occasional "To X, how did you hear, who did you hear from", but when it gets to a full blown conversation or debate, it belongs here on the forum! So thanks to jewelbomb for bringing the discussion here!

(And yes, I deleted the 8 Other/Other English submissions, to try to keep the database at least semi-tidy)