Are application reviews continuing during Christmas/Noel holiday?

Aydemiru

Hey all!

One of my recommenders did not upload my letter and he said that he will do it after the break, on 5th of january. The deadlines were 15th December. I am worried now about my applications. Do the universities review applications during the break or not?

Plus, how does it affect my application if I add a new recommender now, after almost two weeks from the deadline?

Thanks 

There's definitely a grace period, and I've seen schools say that they can come in 2 weeks or so past the deadline. I wouldn't assume that they'd start until after the new year, but it's hard to be sure and it's probably better to be safe than sorry. If your recommender agreed to write the letters, they should be willing to follow the deadlines. Maybe check back in with them and gently stress the importance of submitting the letter granted the money and work and time that you've put into your applications. 

Not a polisci student, but I'm pretty sure for most of my schools they said that the deadline for the application is not the same as the deadline for recommendations. Most of my applications were set for Dec. 15, but that was just for the materials that I can submit myself. Many specifically mentioned that letters could come in later.

On 12/27/2020 at 2:22 PM, Aydemiru said:

Hey all!

One of my recommenders did not upload my letter and he said that he will do it after the break, on 5th of january. The deadlines were 15th December. I am worried now about my applications. Do the universities review applications during the break or not?

Plus, how does it affect my application if I add a new recommender now, after almost two weeks from the deadline?

Thanks 

I think this really depends on the program and they should specify on their website. However, I am under the impression that most programs require all supplemental docs (incl. LOR) to be submitted on/by the deadline.