University of Kansas

Hello! I'm starting a thread for KU, as I haven't seen much in here regarding this program. I'm currently applying for the Fall 2021 cohort, but I don't think that my application is very competitive this year. I will apply for the following year if I'm not accepted, and make changes to my application depending on what the admissions committee suggests. A little about KU:

A little about my application:

• Out-of-major: My undergraduate degree is a B.S. in Elementary Education, also from KU. I'm working on levelling courses. KU has a program for out-of-majors that is sort of like a post-bacc but I don't believe that the program is actually considered a post-bacc. It's a full year of classes. If I'm not accepted this cycle, I'll likely finish it up in fall 2021 as an undergraduate degree in CSD as I'd only need to complete one extra semester to meet the requirements.
  • Work experience: I have 5 years experience as a preschool teacher, 3 years as a Direct Support Professional working with adults with Intellectual Disabilities, I spent 1 year as a substitute teacher working primarily with children with autism, and 1 year as a first grade elementary school teacher. I think that my work history will work in my favor, as I worked multiple part-time jobs in undergrad in related fields.
  • My undergraduate GPA was around 3.4, but I have a 4.0 in my CSD courses for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020. My undergrad GPA will not be working in my favor.
  • KU does not require the GRE for this cycle, so I didn't take it. I don't know if this will help or hurt. I don't believe that they'll accept LSAT scores in lieu of the GRE in future cycles so I will probably need to take it in the future.
  • I don't have any research experience in time for this cycle, though I will be starting my experience in Jan 2021
  • I would like to work as a SLPA if I am not accepted this cycle, but I've noticed that there are not very many opportunities available. I'm looking for something, please let me know if you have seen anything around the KC area!
  • I don't have a ton of observations under my belt. I signed up for the Master Clinician Network ( mcnslp.com ) for informal observations, but Covid threw a wrench in my in-person observation plans. I'm hoping to do some in Jan-Feb at a local school.  KU has a 25 hour observation requirement for admission, but they allow this to be completed during the first semester. 
  • I've been pretty involved in student organizations, and started one that offers diversity trainings for pre-health majors. I think this will definitely be beneficial to my application. 
  • I have a student portfolio website - https://www.jomyers.online - I don't think it will be particularly beneficial, but I don't think it will hurt, either. KU has a holistic review process, and I don't have much in the way of social media anymore so I wanted to make sure that I have a digital presence. 

Anyone else applying this cycle/next? 

Edited by jomyers.online
fixed spelling

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Putting more out here in case anyone is interested!

About admissions

KU has a holistic review process for applications. They look for

• "academic ability and preparation: How does the student demonstrate a firm foundation in core speech-language-hearing (or related) concepts?"
  • "communication skills: How has the student demonstrated an ability to communicate clearly and effectively in spoken and/or written formats?"
  • "interpersonal skills: How has the student demonstrated an ability to work collaboratively and effectively with a wide range of people?"
  • "analytical skills: How has the student demonstrated a firm foundation in research, critical thinking, and/or clinical application?"
  • "potential for professionalism: How has the student demonstrated an ability to be organized, reliable, and respectful? How has the student demonstrated an ability to grow from constructive feedback?"
  • "potential for leadership: How has the student demonstrated leadership skills?"
  • "cultural and linguistic diversity: How has the student demonstrated an understanding of diversity and/or the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds that differ from their own? How does the student demonstrate knowledge or proficiency of languages or dialects other than standard American English?"

You'll want to highlight ways in which you've demonstrated each of these 7 core skills in your application materials: your personal statement, your CV, and your reference letters. If you think you won't be able to talk about one of them in your personal statement or CV, make sure you ask your letter writer to describe that attribute directly!

They do look specifically at your in-major GPA. You'll enter all of your CSD/SPLH courses into the admissions GPA calculator. For your cumulative GPA, the program requires a 3.0, but they will occasionally offer provisional acceptances for otherwise exceptional students with a lower GPA.

The personal statement is 350 words, "What is the one thing that sets you apart from other candidates applying to our graduate program?" 

There is also a figure provided, and you have 150 words to describe the results and implications. 

You'll submit a resume/CV as well. They have examples to help you create yours. I did a CV, this is the current iteration. I'd also recommend googling SLP CV University filetype:pdf (You'll get PDF versions of current SLP CVs that have been uploaded to websites, usually belonging to professors. This would give you a great idea of formatting options, as well as potential experiences and scholarships!)

Last, but not least, you'll need three reference letters!

Why I chose KU:

1.  The program allows for differentiation and exploration of your interests: 24 of 46 total credits are elective courses. The opportunity to tailor my program to my own needs was very important to me, and I didn't see many schools that offered this level of flexibility! They allow you to take courses in three tracks: adult/medical, child/school, or generalist. Externships (called field experiences here) can be tailored to the track that you're on as well. 
  2. There is an on-campus clinic, the Schiefelbusch Clinic, which offers the opportunity for one of the practicum placements to be completed during a summer communication camp. You can get started your first semester with practicum, and you even have the opportunity to begin your program even earlier in the summer with a practicum experience. 
  3. There are many research opportunities, both in the department and in related studies: Culturally Responsive Early Literacy Intervention with Dr. Matthew Gillispie, Communication Complexity Scale with Dr. Nancy Brady, Language Acquisition Studies Lab with Dr. Mabel Rice, Measuring Early Communication in Students with Autism with Dr. Nancy Brady, Reading, Language, and Learning Lab with Dr. Mindy Bridges, Speech and Applied Neuroscience Lab with Dr. Jon Brumberg, Word and Sound Learning Lab with Dr. Holly Storkel, and the Child Development Lab with Dr. Brenda Salley
  4. There are both thesis and non-thesis tracks. As someone interested in research, the many options available really appealed to me. There are at least 5 courses that can be taken to meet the research requirement, so again, you definitely have the ability to tailor your research to your interests.
  5. The comprehensive exam is structured as a portfolio defense, and the thesis defense is integrated into this process for those on the thesis track (so, as a thesis track student, I wouldn't have to plan for my defense and comps separately)
  6. Funding is available: there are currently two fellowship programs that students can apply for when they begin their studies, and GA positions are available to M.A. students some years. There weren't any available in the department this year, but I found several that were hiring outside of the department in related studies. Tuition is not as high as many programs, and the cost of living is fairly low. You also have the option of living in Lawrence (college town, KU campus) or Kansas City (small city, KU Medical Center campus) during your program. I really love KC!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

Thank you for starting this thread. I am moving to Kansas City soon and hoping to start applying to graduate schools in Fall 2021. Did you end up getting in the University of Kansas program? 

I am not sure if you are still active on this thread, but I would love to hear about your experience and possibly stay in touch.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Groupme for Fall 2022 KU admitted students: https://groupme.com/join_group/85851716/md3ZMHwE

Groupme for KU admitted students to chat with the class of 2023: https://groupme.com/join_group/85851758/HiofA0fV 

Edited by jomyers.online