Hello,

I decided to take a leap of faith and apply to Emerson and NYU online masters speech-language pathology program. My overall GPA is 3.4. I have not taken the leveling course for the program and I haven’t taken the GRE. I have experience in the medical and school setting in which I have worked with a SLP. I am currently a special education teacher. 

As I was reading through post about Emerson, I didn’t realize how my general education courses for ASHA could affect my acceptance in the programs. I have a D in statistics and a C in biology. I fear these will give me an automatic rejection into the program. 

Has anyone gotten in any speech-language pathology program with low general education courses? 

Edited by BlackGirlSLP

• BlackGirlSLP changed the title to Low general course grades for grad school

Hi! I think your work experience speaks for itself and my understanding that the ASHA general education requirements are not given the same weight as courses you've taken that apply to the SLP field.

Grad apps are tricky. Acceptance anecdotes tend to fall all over the spectrum. I've met exceptions to all rules, but what I've learned is that personally I have seen the most success when I've opted to not gamble. Applications are expensive and require a lot of time and focus to do well. It takes more time to make sure there's no reason outside of your control that a committee would not consider you, but it's likely worth it. I could have bought A LOT of waffles with the $ I spent other attempts. 

That said, I did get in with a stats course that had been taken P/NP. I was then asked to retake statistics by my department because I had taken in 7 years prior and it wasn't for a letter grade, but I was accepted regardless. I took the class over the summer before fall quarter started. It felt much easier than the first time, so it didn't feel like a massive commitment. Last I checked, NYU and Emerson both offer rolling enrollment options for their online options. If I were you, I would at least retake statistics because even if you get in, you'll probably be asked to do so.

8 hours ago, meadymalarkey said:

Hi! I think your work experience speaks for itself and my understanding that the ASHA general education requirements are not given the same weight as courses you've taken that apply to the SLP field.

Grad apps are tricky. Acceptance anecdotes tend to fall all over the spectrum. I've met exceptions to all rules, but what I've learned is that personally I have seen the most success when I've opted to not gamble. Applications are expensive and require a lot of time and focus to do well. It takes more time to make sure there's no reason outside of your control that a committee would not consider you, but it's likely worth it. I could have bought A LOT of waffles with the $ I spent other attempts. 

That said, I did get in with a stats course that had been taken P/NP. I was then asked to retake statistics by my department because I had taken in 7 years prior and it wasn't for a letter grade, but I was accepted regardless. I took the class over the summer before fall quarter started. It felt much easier than the first time, so it didn't feel like a massive commitment. Last I checked, NYU and Emerson both offer rolling enrollment options for their online options. If I were you, I would at least retake statistics because even if you get in, you'll probably be asked to do so.

This relieves soo much stress. I have thought about applying in the Fall but NYU@Speech doesn’t waive their GRE scores. I will probably have to retake my psychology class because I took it in 2013 and got an A. I already applied and will see what they say, if I don’t get in this year. I will retake those courses and apply again. 

7 hours ago, BlackGirlSLP said:

This relieves soo much stress. I have thought about applying in the Fall but NYU@Speech doesn’t waive their GRE scores. I will probably have to retake my psychology class because I took it in 2013 and got an A. I already applied and will see what they say, if I don’t get in this year. I will retake those courses and apply again. 

I'm glad! You may want to call reps at these schools to get more information. I know both programs are very communicative once you give them your info. 

Just wanted to add: I doubt you'll be asked to retake the psychology class, especially since you got an A. However, you may consider taking another class with comparable but different content just to show recent work and expand on what you've already done. Child and/or lifespan psychology could be useful, as could biological psychology (can be used to double as a bio requirement) or abnormal psych. Biological psychology in particular was super-helpful in preparing me to work with acquired language/motor-based disorders.

1 hour ago, meadymalarkey said:

I'm glad! You may want to call reps at these schools to get more information. I know both programs are very communicative once you give them your info. 

Just wanted to add: I doubt you'll be asked to retake the psychology class, especially since you got an A. However, you may consider taking another class with comparable but different content just to show recent work and expand on what you've already done. Child and/or lifespan psychology could be useful, as could biological psychology (can be used to double as a bio requirement) or abnormal psych. Biological psychology in particular was super-helpful in preparing me to work with acquired language/motor-based disorders.

Thank you! I most definitely and I'm glad that you said they are very communicative because I wondered with COVID that I would being waiting awhile for a response. 

Ok that is good to know. I have taken an abnormal and lifespan growth and development psychology classes  last year and got A's. I should probably add those to my list.