Reach out to POI after informal interview?

JArather

Hi all,

I hope you are doing well! 

I had an informal interview with a POI on 12/18. I have not heard anything back from them (I know it is the holidays and everything), but they had said they were hoping to reach back out with decisions about official interview weekend within 5 days. I haven't not heard anything since the interview. Is writing a follow up interview something that should be done? Or is that too pushy/should I wait until the new year and everything?

Also, a bit panicked, but if you haven't heard from any programs by mid-jan.. does that mean its probably a rejection? I have been getting mixed responses and my anxiety is all over the place!

Best of luck everyone :)

Did you send a thank you email already? If not, I might suggest sending a thank you and reiterating your interest in the lab/program. That way you aren't really pushing for a decision but reminding them of who you are. It was also the holidays so they may have gotten distracted. 

7 hours ago, justacigar said:

Did you send a thank you email already? If not, I might suggest sending a thank you and reiterating your interest in the lab/program. That way you aren't really pushing for a decision but reminding them of who you are. It was also the holidays so they may have gotten distracted. 

I did! I sent one after we met, later the same day. I figured the holidays might've gotten things thrown a bit-- I guess I just wasn't sure what was "polite" here?  Thank you for the response!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, Clinapp2017 said:

I would leave it be. You will hear back when they have made their decision. Your thank you email is enough; now it's just the hard, but important waiting game!

Thank you so much. Ah, its so hard but hopefully worth it!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All, 

I need some advice... 

I interviewed at a PhD program two weeks ago. I had encouraging exchanges with my PI prior to the formal interview. At the end of the formal interview, faculty informed applicants that decisions would sent out the following week. So... it's been two weeks since the formal interview. I saw last week that offers were sent out to students (just like the faculty said at the end of the formal interview). I've received no communication from the program or my PI. Should I reach out to my PI and inquire about where my application stands? This is a top choice for me.

23 hours ago, Confused Ape said:

Hey All, 

I need some advice... 

I interviewed at a PhD program two weeks ago. I had encouraging exchanges with my PI prior to the formal interview. At the end of the formal interview, faculty informed applicants that decisions would sent out the following week. So... it's been two weeks since the formal interview. I saw last week that offers were sent out to students (just like the faculty said at the end of the formal interview). I've received no communication from the program or my PI. Should I reach out to my PI and inquire about where my application stands? This is a top choice for me.

I am in a v similar boat, and it is tricky. 

I would reach out to the program directors/admin staff first and inquire if all formal invites/offers have been extended? That way you can know if all the *super official* offers have been extended or not. If they have not been extended, I would reach out to the PI if you feel comfortable to do so. If you've received any other offers from other schools, sometimes people like to include that to try and just say "I am still interested in this program, but might need to make a decision soon". That is a bit uncomfortable, but have seen that as a rather common tactic if you have multiple offers. 

On 2/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, Confused Ape said:

Hey All, 

I need some advice... 

I agree with what @JArather said about reaching out to a program officer first. Given that they did provide you with a timeline, I think it is perfectly reasonable to contact them and say you haven't heard anything and wanted to follow-up. 

Additionally, based on the information you provided, it seems to me that you are likely waitlisted. Typically, if they are going to reject you, they would do that at the same time as the acceptances. My guess is that they are waiting to hear back from the first set of applicants they extended offers to. If one of those people turns them down, they will go to their waitlist. Most of the time, faculty are honest if you are on a waitlist (and can tell you how many people are ahead of you) so I think it would be OK to reach out and ask at this point.