How to tell rec letter writers you're not applying to their program?

yike

Question

Hello! I'm new here and not sure if this is in the right forum, but I need some quick advice so I thought I'd post here anyway.

I'm a 4th year undergrad applying to PhD programs in my current major. Two of my rec letter writers are my current research advisors. A couple months ago, I sent them a list of grad programs I would be applying for, and one of them included the university I'm currently attending. Over time I realized I dont actually want to attend grad school here. But I'm afraid if I don't apply, it will be awkward doing research with them and asking for rec letters for other programs. I want to maintain a good relationship with them, but I don't want to waste time and money submitting an application to a school I won't attend in the end. Any advice on how to handle this situation or respond to these professors when they ask if I'm still applying to their program?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer to this question

you can always apply and choose to not go .....  I mean ask for a fee waiver and shouldn't waste you a lot of time... its much easier to handle the messy situation you are worried about

Edited by Sky_china