Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Thread for those interested in gaining work experience working as an assistant before applying to grad school. Advice/tips/info/questions/etc. 


So that all of the most relevant information is easy to find, I've compiled some resources for you all. I'll add to it over time as people respond:


  • ASHA's state-by-state licensing/certification requirements. (click your state, then support personnel to figure out what is required for certification in your state. Keep in mind, this is only updated annually so your state's regulations might have changed) Important to note: State licensure takes precedence, you can hold ASHA's C-SLPA and still be unable to practice in your state if you have not met the state's requirements. On the other end of the spectrum, you might be able to practice without the rigorous requirements of the C-SLPA certification if your state does not yet require it. (Some states only require a high school diploma.) This is because state laws and regulations govern the schools and medical facilities where you'd be working. That being said, it is likely that states will align themselves with the new ASHA certification in the near future, but legislating these changes and adding them to state budgets will take time.   Have any states already moved to require ASHA certification (C-SLPA)?


  1. Completion of a 1-hour of ethics course
  2. Completion of a 1-hour course in universal safety precautions
  3. Completion of a 1-hour patient confidentiality training course
  4. Clinical field work: A minimum of 100 hours (observation hours cannot be used), to include 80 hours of direct patient/client/student services under the supervision of an ASHA-certified speech-language pathologist (SLP) and 20 hours of indirect patient/client/student services under the supervision of an ASHA-certified SLP
  5. One of the following education requirements: 2 year SLPA program OR 4 year CSD undergraduate OR other Bachelor's degree along with Introductory or overview course in communication disorders, Phonetics, Speech sound disorders, Language development, Language disorders, Anatomy and physiology of speech and hearing mechanisms, and ASHA’s online SLPA education modules
  6. Completion of the exam


  • If, for example, you have a Bachelor's degree in something other than SLPH but you've taken the required courses (looking at you, out-of-majors taking levelling courses), how on earth are you supposed to come up with 100 hours of clinical/fieldwork? Why offer it as an option if it's impossibleLooking for people to commiserate, mostly, but if you have advice that would be great. 


  • How have you all found positions, other than searching on glassdoor or linkedin?


  • In Kansas, there's a workaround where you only have to have a high-school diploma to be a Speech-Language Para-professional in schools! Relevant work experience without the impossible hurdles to jump through!?!?! I was floored when I figured this out, I didn't know paras could specialize. Is this true in your state?
Edited by www.jomyers.online
added FAQs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.