McMaster MSc Global Health Fall 2021

hangrypanda

1 minute ago, KR95 said:

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if anyone is deciding between an MPH and the MSc Global Heath? Any isights on what is swaying your decision? I’m so torn 

I have an offer for an MPH International Development program at a school in the UK. Right now I am leaning towards that bc of the “MPH” designation and the standing that holds worldwide. But this MSc program is incredible so I think it depends what you want to do and what program better caters to that with courses and other opportunities. 

3 hours ago, Eager2021 said:

Is the suggestion that not receiving any confirmation of acceptance/waitlist is better than having received confirmation of being waitlisted? Were there people who were eventually given offers after having been waitlisted? It seems odd that they would not give candidates any response - acceptance/waitlist/rejection - the entire time and have people just hanging on.

Hmm that is an interesting question, while it is not what I am suggesting, I think that would be completely contingent on how an individual reacts to a waitlist email. What I'm suggesting is that not receiving any confirmation of acceptance/waitlist is definitely better than receiving a rejection email (Not to say that I know anything about if they send rejection emails or not). A rejection email is a definite "No", while not receiving anything is a "Maybe" or "potential Yes", albeit the latter is associated with the annoying waiting game. Unfortunately I don't know anything about people being waitlisted or if they even sent out waitlist emails to begin with, but I do agree it is quite odd and arguably cruel to not give candidates any response, especially given how important this is to many of you.

2 hours ago, GlobalHealthHopeful said:

That is super strange! I hope it’s not the case this year. I am currently living in NB and the admission decision will determine whether I am going to have to move or not. If we hear back that late, that won’t give much time to do so. I’m not sure if anyone else is in the same situation or not! 

I'm very sorry to hear this and can't imagine how stressful it would have to be to make a last minute decision. I am very unsure of how they may accommodate you in these circumstances but that might be a question you could pose to the Global Health Office. You can maybe inquire about their ability to accommodate you if you were to receive a late acceptance :) 

2 hours ago, gh2021app said:

Thanks for letting us know Flapdod!! That helps clear some stuff out but, it is so stressful waiting ...like it's not easy on students who got no response yet. Prayers and good luck to all of us still waiting to hear back 

Mhm I definitely agree with this, especially given the fact that everybody has different circumstances and many are applying to more than one Master's program and waiting to hear back from this one. Best of luck to all of you though and I know it is easier said than done, but keep being patient with yourselves.

2 hours ago, Globalhealthhh said:

I guess my question now would be, do people get rejected or are people just put on waitlists? I haven't seen anyone talk about rejections in previous threads as well. All I've seen is waitlist/acceptance so I'm kinda curious.

I haven't heard of people getting rejected in this thread so far nor do I have any knowledge of whether people received rejection emails last year. I'm under the impression (as in I'm hypothesizing and cannot guarantee the validity of what I say), given my experience applying to this, that the faculty actually does not send rejection emails but puts everybody on a waitlist that lasts until the school semester starts or until they fill in all their seats. So they essentially keep going down their waitlist and sending out emails to students and waiting a week for them to respond, and then sending out more emails to compensate for all the people who declined and the cycle continues. 

2 hours ago, KR95 said:

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if anyone is deciding between an MPH and the MSc Global Heath? Any isights on what is swaying your decision? I’m so torn 

I was deciding between this initially, I think it comes down to a few factors personally. 1. Future goals, are you planning on using this MSc as a stepping stone or is this going to the end of your career? For me, this MSc was a stepping stone for medicine and the fact that it's a 1 year program was very appealing to me because that means I could apply to med school during this program. 2. What interests you more? You'll learn that MPH, while is very similar to Global Health, revolves more around policymaking (to my knowledge) in local contexts, I'd say it's a specific subdivision of global health while Global Health encompasses public health, policymaking but also disease burden. 3. If this isn't your final goal, would you be happy with it being your backup? I think to help guide you, maybe go back to the program's websites and try to read their goals :) 

3 hours ago, Globalhealthhh said:

I guess my question now would be, do people get rejected or are people just put on waitlists? I haven't seen anyone talk about rejections in previous threads as well. All I've seen is waitlist/acceptance so I'm kinda curious.

A friend of mine applied to this program in 2018 and received a rejection email. But who knows, maybe its different now?

1 hour ago, Ghealth2021 said:

To those of you who have received an unofficial letter - have you received your official one from SGS yet? I’m still waiting on mine and I got my unofficial letter from the GHO on May 19th. 

Same, I received my unofficial offer on May 19th but I haven't received the official one yet.

14 minutes ago, GAmanda said:

Finally got my official acceptance letter today (I got an unofficial email last week), deadline to accept offer is June 2nd for those of you who were wondering. My mosaic is also updated now. 

Same, just got the official offer and Mosaic has been updated to the blue conditional offer square.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:22 PM, globalguRl said:

I have an offer for an MPH International Development program at a school in the UK. Right now I am leaning towards that bc of the “MPH” designation and the standing that holds worldwide. But this MSc program is incredible so I think it depends what you want to do and what program better caters to that with courses and other opportunities. 

Thanks very much for your response! 

On 5/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Flapdod said:

Hey guys,

I'm currently a student in the Global Health MSc and I've been scrolling this chat for the last few days and figured it may be worth mentioning my experience while applying to this program. I was in a similar boat as a lot of you where many people were receiving acceptances and I was very uncertain about if I would receive one. Naturally the anxiety built up and it started on May 1st, 2020, which is when I believe the first acceptance came out. I am not sure how the global health faculty is handling it this year, but traditionally they have been pretty slow and inconsistent with delivering acceptances. I learned this after having talked to many of my current peers in the program, and it honestly could be a long waiting game for a lot of you, but don't lose hope. I received my acceptance on August 16th, 2020 (am willing to provide proof if any of you are skeptical as long as it eases the anxiety), while one of my closest friends received theirs on May 8th, 2020. So naturally I had 0 expectation of getting into the program but the acceptance randomly arrived one day, two weeks before school was about to start. I thought I was probably the last person to get accepted into the program until I talked with some of the friends I made, and learned that there were at least another 10 in my position (With one of them receiving their acceptance the day school started on September 3rd and many of them receiving theirs later than mine). I am not exactly sure if this is reassuring since I'm essentially saying that we can't be sure when/if you'll receive an acceptance, but I hope it at least provides context on what the waiting game could look. Also, there is ambiguity regarding whether it updates on Mosaic or not. It didn't for me and it's actually completely disappeared from my Mosaic, but it had appeared for some of my peers. Basically, don't rely on Mosaic to give you the final answer and just be patient for an email. Unfortunately I don't know much about if they send rejection emails, but I'd be happy to take any questions you may have! :) Take it easy and don't be so hard on yourself, the waiting game is annoying as hell and regardless of whether you receive an acceptance or not, just keep doing your best because that's all you can ask of yourself, you made it this far for a reason :)

Thankyou so much for this, do you mind telling us your stats pleasec

1 hour ago, Globalhealthhh said:

Response I received just now

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 10.24.42 AM.png

Hello,

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately, this does not make things more transparent. I believe that applicants need to understand the process better so that they can make informed decisions regarding what to do for September. Is receiving a waitlist notification pretty much a rejection or is there still an opportunity to be accepted? Those of us who have not heard anything need to know if we are likely to be rejected or whether an offer is still being considered for us? Not everyone has the luxury of time and candidates should know if they should accept other offers or have a good chance of being accepted. This process is so frustrating - Just needed to vent.