Hertie School 2021 Applications

Ranim Munshi

2 hours ago, Ranim Munshi said:

I applied on the 26th of Jan too for both programs! How was the application process for you? Any inputs on when we can hear back from them?

I personally didn't face any issues during the application process. In one of the webinars they mentioned that they usually get back within 4 weeks. However, it might take a bit longer if we apply closer to the deadlines

Edited by sukriti27

1 minute ago, sukriti27 said:

I personally didn't face any issues during the application process. In one of the webinars they mentioned that they usually get back within 4 weeks. However, it might take a bit longer if we apply closer to the deadlines

Ohh, I didn't know about the 4 week thing. Any news of their acceptance rate? Did you apply for Scholarships/Financial Aid?

24 minutes ago, Ranim Munshi said:

Yes, I applied for the Indo-German Scholarship so lets see! Do you come from a Public Policy background? 

I'm a commerce graduate with a few policy relevant internships and extracurricular experience. What's your profile?

I completed my application process at eleventh hour making a sloppy mistake, which I hope gets neglected. However, after completing the process I stumbled across Hertie's annual report stating to admit around  335 and 376 candidates in MPP program and around 202 and 205 candidates in MIA Program for year 2019 and 2020 respectively. And in further bifurcation 50% candidates in MPP and around 25% candidates In MIA are from countries outside Europe. And in one of the sessions I attended, they claimed to receive around 800 applications for both the programs. So, by preliminary calculations- acceptance rates is quite high. What I have observed during this thirty minutes research is that Hertie prefers to add people with relevant work experience in their respective fields. Although there are many students with fresh undergraduate degrees as per one of the students I came in contact with during the process. 

For Scholarship- especially IGYLF, I was given a suggestion to keep my SOP and Scholarship essay in consonance and single coherent narrative, since a panel which shortlist the candidate for interview includes professor from Hertie who reviewed your CV and SOP already. Having 2 spots for this scholarship opened to all the nationalities, but for the sake of argument if we take Germans and Indians as major contenders, this scholarship becomes a real competition because the major seats belong to Germans and high density of experienced Indian essays. It doesn't mean chances of any applicant is less but the scholarship is competitive in nature. It is followed by Skype interview lasting for 30 mins and discussing various aspects of your CV, SOP and Essay letter, basically if you are expecting a call, try to be through with your submissions and sketch out a plan on how you can implant your stated ideas, if given a chance. 

However, based on financial needs, I am given to understand that 25% grants are usually dispersed for students genuinely needing one.  

Ironically, I came across Hertie's opening for master around 26th (which I assume is the time you guys finished submitting) and completed my application process couple of hours before only. Surfing through their website to sooth my anxiety, I found these informations and now I regret of not doing the same before. 

About the profiles regarding admission in MPP and MIA you find that both are dominated by social science (54 and 66% respectively), Business and Economics (21% and 17%), Humanities (10% and 11%), Law (9% and 3%) and Science and Technology (6% and 3%). Ironically, law as a discipline doesn't look strong in either programs. 

Finally coming to duration of recieving response, they mentioned in open session it to be 4 weeks and this is corroborated by chats on this websites by people applying in the months of November-December.

And people applying after today- All the best! 

6 hours ago, Kabira said:

I completed my application process at eleventh hour making a sloppy mistake, which I hope gets neglected. However, after completing the process I stumbled across Hertie's annual report stating to admit around  335 and 376 candidates in MPP program and around 202 and 205 candidates in MIA Program for year 2019 and 2020 respectively. And in further bifurcation 50% candidates in MPP and around 25% candidates In MIA are from countries outside Europe. And in one of the sessions I attended, they claimed to receive around 800 applications for both the programs. So, by preliminary calculations- acceptance rates is quite high. What I have observed during this thirty minutes research is that Hertie prefers to add people with relevant work experience in their respective fields. Although there are many students with fresh undergraduate degrees as per one of the students I came in contact with during the process. 

For Scholarship- especially IGYLF, I was given a suggestion to keep my SOP and Scholarship essay in consonance and single coherent narrative, since a panel which shortlist the candidate for interview includes professor from Hertie who reviewed your CV and SOP already. Having 2 spots for this scholarship opened to all the nationalities, but for the sake of argument if we take Germans and Indians as major contenders, this scholarship becomes a real competition because the major seats belong to Germans and high density of experienced Indian essays. It doesn't mean chances of any applicant is less but the scholarship is competitive in nature. It is followed by Skype interview lasting for 30 mins and discussing various aspects of your CV, SOP and Essay letter, basically if you are expecting a call, try to be through with your submissions and sketch out a plan on how you can implant your stated ideas, if given a chance. 

However, based on financial needs, I am given to understand that 25% grants are usually dispersed for students genuinely needing one.  

Ironically, I came across Hertie's opening for master around 26th (which I assume is the time you guys finished submitting) and completed my application process couple of hours before only. Surfing through their website to sooth my anxiety, I found these informations and now I regret of not doing the same before. 

About the profiles regarding admission in MPP and MIA you find that both are dominated by social science (54 and 66% respectively), Business and Economics (21% and 17%), Humanities (10% and 11%), Law (9% and 3%) and Science and Technology (6% and 3%). Ironically, law as a discipline doesn't look strong in either programs. 

Finally coming to duration of recieving response, they mentioned in open session it to be 4 weeks and this is corroborated by chats on this websites by people applying in the months of November-December.

And people applying after today- All the best! 

Oh man! This is super insightful. It seems like the acceptance rates are pretty high, which is a good sign. Personally, I have worked on an NGO since I was 15 and I am also the editor in chief and founder of my institution's newspaper, mainly working in the writing sphere here. 

What have you applied for? 

11 hours ago, sukriti27 said:

I'm a commerce graduate with a few policy relevant internships and extracurricular experience. What's your profile?

I come from a Journalism background and I have worked with 2-3 NGO's, one of them being something my friends and I started when I was 15. I'm a tad bit nervous but fingers crossed!

I applied for MIA specifically. Being from Law background, I thought I had some edge and although I have limited internship experience with cogs of Government machineries and NGOs, it seems to me pretty unlikely for myself to get in. Even if I get in, I wonder about their job prospect to pay off loans if I had to take any. Although they have a good reputation but job market for policy makers aren't that impressive. 

Whereas, you intent and experience of NGOs are a strong hold and I hope you have explored those in your SOP and if you have, I think you should start making plan for interview to take place (for scholarship).

Isn't there any other policy school that you guys applied to? 

Hey all, just thought I'd give you an example of application timeframe.  I applied for the MPP in late December but I am yet to hear back. That being said, I received an email on the 8th January stating that my application was now complete and passed to the selection committee. From my understanding with the four week time frame, in theory I should hear back today, however I think that it might take a little longer. 

As far as my application goes, I am an undergraduate student from one of the top 3 British universities with a degree in political science and humanities. I have some relevant work experience through internships, however, I am aware that many applicants might have far stronger CVs having already graduated many years earlier which puts a question mark over the strength of my application. 

Hopefully I hear back soon. Good luck to you all!

Edited by bl1

Hello!

I also applied for Hertie school of Governance for MIA. I finished my application (incl references) on January 8 and got the admission decision on the January 19 (it was very quick). I have applied for Scholarship and I am still waiting to hear from you.

I am a IR student (BA Liberal Arts Honours with a double minor) from one of the leading university in India. I have a work experience of over 2 years teaching German and working as an Operations Associate for a Travel Agency. I am also working on an undergraduate thesis on EU. From looking at my application and of my peers (don't want to boast) but if you have a good CV, you should hear from them soon enough!

All the best for your application!

7 hours ago, Varad said:

Hello!

I also applied for Hertie school of Governance for MIA. I finished my application (incl references) on January 8 and got the admission decision on the January 19 (it was very quick). I have applied for Scholarship and I am still waiting to hear from you.

I am a IR student (BA Liberal Arts Honours with a double minor) from one of the leading university in India. I have a work experience of over 2 years teaching German and working as an Operations Associate for a Travel Agency. I am also working on an undergraduate thesis on EU. From looking at my application and of my peers (don't want to boast) but if you have a good CV, you should hear from them soon enough!

Hey! Congratulations first of all.

I applied on the 26th and I'm yet to hear back, so let's see how it goes. I still am in my final year so I don't have too much of work experience, more of volunteering and college committees tbh. Hoping for the best, did you apply anywhere else?

Thank you!

In Europe, I have applied to LSE, Sciences Po and Leiden. I have also applied for MIA at LKYSPP (NUS). But apart from hertie none of the schools have gotten back to me regarding the decision. Still waiting (impatiently)

I hope you get in! All the best!

23 minutes ago, Varad said:

Thank you!

In Europe, I have applied to LSE, Sciences Po and Leiden. I have also applied for MIA at LKYSPP (NUS). But apart from hertie none of the schools have gotten back to me regarding the decision. Still waiting (impatiently)

I hope you get in! All the best!

Thats great! Do you recommend any other university in Berlin for similar courses? Or is this the only one in Germany?

so

1 minute ago, Ranim Munshi said:

Thats great! Do you recommend any other university in Berlin for similar courses? Or is this the only one in Germany?

so based on the research I did, Hertie is a well recommend school in germany which has a good MIA or MPP course in english. Rest courses (esp at public unis) are in german language 

On 2/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, Varad said:

so

so based on the research I did, Hertie is a well recommend school in germany which has a good MIA or MPP course in english. Rest courses (esp at public unis) are in german language 

Yes I've had the same experience. Checking out other uni's and courses in Berlin too!

Hello!

I have applied for the MPP programme at Hertie as well! I had submitted my application on 9 December but it was completed only on 17 December after all my LORs were submitted. I head back from on 1 February (ACCEPTED!). I read somewhere that they take 4-5 weeks to get back, but that's only an estimate. Also, they take longer during holidays (Christmas/New Year's) and around February because that's when they assess the priority deadline applications.

I'm applying for development studies and public policy both. The way I see it -- both courses are pretty similar in the subject matter taught, with slight differences in approach, I guess.

P.S. I have a background in law and have work experience in the corporate/financial sector as well as the social/education sector.

Edited by obscurelyalpha

On 2/5/2021 at 2:56 PM, Varad said:

Hello!

Hello! Did you hear back from Hertie about scholarship/funding? What is the timeframe they've indicated for you to make a deposit to confirm your seat?

3 hours ago, mk2021 said:

Hello! Did you hear back from Hertie about scholarship/funding? What is the timeframe they've indicated for you to make a deposit to confirm your seat?

Hello! I am still waiting for them to get back to me regarding scholarship. I applied for the Indo-German scholarship. 

I also have time till the 15th of April to confirm my seat

On 2/16/2021 at 1:49 AM, Varad said:

Hello! I am still waiting for them to get back to me regarding scholarship. I applied for the Indo-German scholarship. 

I also have time till the 15th of April to confirm my seat

Hey! I heard back on my IGYLF application earlier today. Didn't get selected. :( Still hoping I get some financial waiver though!

Did you hear back from them yet?