2021 Fall HCI & Information Science PhD Admission Thread

Mercury0919

On 2/17/2021 at 4:19 AM, KatGrad757 said:

Hi everyone,

I had my interview with Syracuse for admission to their Information PhD program. It went really well... but who knows. I had 2 great interviews with Cornell and I still wasn't admitted. Syracuse did tell me that this will for their 2nd round and their 1st round of admissions offers already went out. I just received my rejection letter from CMU for the HCII Phd program. I wasn't banking on CMU, if I'm being perfectly honest I only applied because I was offered an application fee waiver. Good luck everyone!

Hey I was wondering if you heard back from Syracuse? Had an interview with them too and have heard nothing back? 

On 2/22/2021 at 2:58 AM, ischoolTRI21 said:

Does anyone know how the UW iSchool waitlist works? Does it ever even move? Or is it just over if you get waitlisted?

I have been rejected by UW iSchool. So I guess you are doing better than me at least!

Generally, half of UW's offer gets declined, so I think there might still be some slots in the coming days, but really not so many.

Good luck bro, some faculty will reach out to you if they are interested.

14 hours ago, Beezy said:

Hey I was wondering if you heard back from Syracuse? Had an interview with them too and have heard nothing back? 

I was accepted into the Information Studies PhD program at Syracuse with a fully funded package. ?

Good luck everyone! 

...also Syracuse let me know they received 2x as many applicant this year! From what I've been hearing, most universities (across all programs and degrees) received about double the amount of applicants this year. 

I reached out to UMD and they let me know that they've released some admissions decisions and will continue to release decisions over the next several weeks. 

12 hours ago, ischoolTRI21 said:

Thanks! I couldn't find any info about what % of people they let in, waitlist, etc. so that is helpful. Do you know if accepts there work according to faculty? Say if I'm waitlisted, does that mean I was a #2 choice for a PI?

I don't know exactly how they make these decisions, but generally its made by committee members based on the evaluations given by faculties. So either the faculty gave you not-high-enough scores, or only limited number of faculty showed interest(which is the situation I met for UMD iSchool). Either way, the relative position of you on the waitlist or the ratio of lifting remains unknown. So I would suggest you email your POI or the faculty who interviewed you for more details. You could also try to show your competence again in this way and hope they would reconsider. 

Does anyone know anything about Syracuse University and/or their Information Studies program? I dont know much about the school or their reputation besides what I've read on their website. Did anyone apply to Georgia Tech?

On 2/25/2021 at 3:24 PM, Beezy said:

Wow congratulations! Just curious what your research interests are? 

Thank you! My research interests are primarily surveillance technologies as well as design/infrastructure research. 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:30 AM, ischoolTRI21 said:

thanks, that's very helpful. there isn't much info on how the waitlist works at all from what i can find. for your UMD application, did you find out about the limited # of faculty after emailing your POI?

appreciate the pointers on emailing them. will try to see what happens.

Yes, I got the information from POI's Email. He said that UMD ischool requires all admitted applicant to have at least 2 vouches from faculties, but I only have one.

I guess most POIs would be happy to share some info if they are truly interested in you. So try reaching out again, at least you could know you status better in this way.