How should I go about getting my book reviewed?

LarrySoc

Hi everyone. I graduated from a Sociology PhD program just over a year ago, and published my dissertation as a book with Routledge in September 2020. For whatever reason, I had assumed that they would solicit book reviews for me. But alas, they did not, and now I am afraid that my book will never be read.
Would anyone happen to have any advice for getting book reviews? Thank you!

I'm not sure either, and I don't think most people on here will be much help since we're all generally towards the beginning of our graduate careers.

As lkaitlyn said, your advisor might know, or if you have a mentor or PI for your current position, they might be able to help too. I'd also suggest just asking your Routledge editor and see if they have any ideas. They've likely gone through the process of promoting books, or at least seen people do it, and can offer advice if not direct help.

On 2/4/2021 at 4:01 PM, LarrySoc said:

Hi everyone. I graduated from a Sociology PhD program just over a year ago, and published my dissertation as a book with Routledge in September 2020. For whatever reason, I had assumed that they would solicit book reviews for me. But alas, they did not, and now I am afraid that my book will never be read.
Would anyone happen to have any advice for getting book reviews? Thank you!

Hi there

My suggestions:

1. Ask your advisor, PI or colleagues from your former department to review in relevant journals. For example, the journal of Ethnic and Racial Studies always publishes book reviews, as do many other journals. Similarly, reviews are sometimes published in more mainstream media like Jacobin, e-flux, etc.

2. Reach out to other scholars working in a similar field. Perhaps there's someone you cited a lot or who is doing research on a similar subject? Again, they might be interested in critically engaging with your work.

3. Get your book on a syllabus or two. Contacting friends who are teaching and see if they'd like to include a chapter, join a Facebook or social media group for researchers in a similar field and make a free copy available to them. The more your book circulates, the more likely someone will want to review it.

But what do I know, I'm not even in a PhD program.

Good luck!