So few theoretical linguistics MA programs in the US!

elismom

Hi, 

I’m new to the forum. im still applying to the programs in Europe but I gotta say... man there are too few MA programs in the states! I could only find programs offered by Penn, Georgetown, bu, u of South Carolina, u of Alabama, and u of colorado Boulder. As an international poc, living in relatively more conservative areas honestly makes me quite nervous (especially after COVID), so this leaves me with even fewer choices for ma programs in the states :’( 

British schools seem to only offer 1-yr degrees, which is not ideal considering I want to pursue a PhD right after. Canadian schools are great, but require me to have more background in linguistics than I currently do as I only started taking linguistics classes as a senior and took another year to earn a second major (I still applied though; still waiting to hear back from ubc).

I guess I’m here to ask if there are more MA programs in the states that I missed, and that I probably still have time to apply to?

Edited by elismom

4 hours ago, elismom said:

Hi, 

I’m new to the forum. im still applying to the programs in Europe but I gotta say... man there are too few MA programs in the states! I could only find programs offered by Penn, Georgetown, bu, u of South Carolina, u of Alabama, and u of colorado Boulder. As an international poc, living in relatively more conservative areas honestly makes me quite nervous (especially after COVID), so this leaves me with even fewer choices for ma programs in the states :’( 

British schools seem to only offer 1-yr degrees, which is not ideal considering I want to pursue a PhD right after. Canadian schools are great, but require me to have more background in linguistics than I currently do as I only started taking linguistics classes as a senior and took another year to earn a second major (I still applied though; still waiting to hear back from ubc).

I guess I’m here to ask if there are more MA programs in the states that I missed, and that I probably still have time to apply to?

There are lots more programs than those you’ve listed! However, theoretical linguistics is not as in demand as applied linguistics and sociolinguistics so most programs focus on those in addition to theoretical. Almost all universities in the US will offer an MA in linguistics; I know that UIUC offers a very good linguistics program. If you are interested in pursuing a linguistics PhD, you will probably find most programs focus on both applied/sociolinguistics and theoretical.