Choosing between University of Toronto and NC STATE for Statistics PhD

Hi everyone, 

I just received the PhD offers from UoT and NCSU stats department, and I am so happy with that. However, now I am facing a difficult decision between choosing UoT and NCSU. As a international student, what I concern  more is the prestige of the two universities (since my future plan is to find a faculty position in statistics). 

Could anyone give me some suggestion on how to make this choice? Any suggestions is appreciated! Thanks so much!

Hi, congrats on your admissions.

Im sorry for asking a different question in this post, but could you share your profile and when/how you heard the decision from NCSU stat (not biostat r?)?

I also applied to NCSU, but have not heard anything so far.

I will greatly appreciate your info.

Thanks in advance.

I think overall Toronto is a step above NCSU. As you can see from the faculty list of the statistics department at Toronto, most of them obtained their PhD from top schools in the world and consistently publish at top statistical journals. They even have 2 COPSS award winners. In particular, if you want to specialize in probability, Jeffery Rosenthal is a perfect choice. While NCSU has a good statistics department with a wide range of research areas, the department is generally perceived as more applied with close ties to industry. The academic placements at Toronto are better than those of NCSU.

1 hour ago, Carl148 said:

Hi, congrats on your admissions.

Im sorry for asking a different question in this post, but could you share your profile and when/how you heard the decision from NCSU stat (not biostat r?)?

I also applied to NCSU, but have not heard anything so far.

I will greatly appreciate your info.

Thanks in advance.

I got NCSU's offer in Apirl 2020, and defer it to 21 fall due to visa problem. I just received its updated offer last week.

36 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Do you want to live in Canada or the United States after your PhD? I think they are close enough in ranking where that should be a major consideration.

Thanks so much for your advice. I prefer to return to my country after graduating. So the place of the two universities is not very important for me, what I concern about is the education quality and prestige of their programs in the world...

• 1 month later...