Grad School Applicant Newbie

gradhelp

Question

Hi All! I am new here to both this forum and applying to grad school and could use some advice and possible assurance :). I graduated this December from a major public university with a major in social services. I received a 3.02. I have about four Ws on my transcript and two FS, and quite a few Cs. Two semesters in my early years of school I did very poorly due to a medical issue I was dealing with. When you look at my past 4 semesters though I have done quite well and clearly have an upward trajectory of increasing my gpa each year. Would you write an extra statement to the admissions team stating why you received those bad grades those 2 semesters or put it in your personal statement of intent....or just let it slide and hope for the best. I was dealing with extreme dizziness and neurological symptoms due to undiagnosed hypothyroidism at the time. Other than that I have multiple internships, practicum experiences, and volunteer work, and will be receiving great letters of recommendation. I am applying to a Counseling Master's Program and do believe this will help a lot! Also, other question! My application deadline is April 1st. Should I take the GRE at the end of February to see how I do (first time taking it) and then depending on how I do and seeing what I need to study take it again mid march? Or just study hard and take it once in mid march only? Thank you guys!

2 answers to this question

I would definitely address your difficult first couple of semesters! Ive also suffered from medical issues in college (have had several surgeries my first year alone) and applying to different programs and fellowships have just made me realize that admissions committees only know what you tell them. It doesn't hurt to overshare (when comfortable) because they really will only consider the different factors presented in front of them. I dont think theyre giving any of us the benefit of the doubt so I would really encourage you to address you concerns in either your personal statement or in whatever additional spaces they give you!

I would only write an additional statement if they have an additional info box, otherwise I'd just put it in the statement. With all the applications they read, I don't think they'd appreciate someone providing extra materials. I've also never taken the GRE but I am assuming that it could only help you to take several times, unless you have to report all of your scores or something. I know nothing about the GRE.... 

Good luck, I am sure you'll be a competitive applicant! 

21 hours ago, gradhelp said:

Hi All! I am new here to both this forum and applying to grad school and could use some advice and possible assurance :). I graduated this December from a major public university with a major in social services. I received a 3.02. I have about four Ws on my transcript and two FS, and quite a few Cs. Two semesters in my early years of school I did very poorly due to a medical issue I was dealing with. When you look at my past 4 semesters though I have done quite well and clearly have an upward trajectory of increasing my gpa each year. Would you write an extra statement to the admissions team stating why you received those bad grades those 2 semesters or put it in your personal statement of intent....or just let it slide and hope for the best. I was dealing with extreme dizziness and neurological symptoms due to undiagnosed hypothyroidism at the time. Other than that I have multiple internships, practicum experiences, and volunteer work, and will be receiving great letters of recommendation. I am applying to a Counseling Master's Program and do believe this will help a lot! Also, other question! My application deadline is April 1st. Should I take the GRE at the end of February to see how I do (first time taking it) and then depending on how I do and seeing what I need to study take it again mid march? Or just study hard and take it once in mid march only? Thank you guys!

Oh gosh. I hope you're in better health now! : ) 

I would take into account the amount of time GRE scores take to come back and have them sent to schools. I'd give it 3 weeks. So, I'd take the test the first week of March--just make sure they have an open spot available. I would personally take it only once because it's 200 bucks a test and I ain't got that kind of money to use on another test. ?

Re: the low GPA. I would email the director of the program directly. They're the ones with the official answers. In the meantime, have an essay ready because the application will often have a personal statement or "anything else you want to share with the committee" section.