Health Insurance - Prescription drugs

I've been on meds for my depression disorder for a long time and I'm doing well as long as I'm on my meds. I'm a prospective international student for a Ph.D. program in the states. I'm aware of the ridiculously expensive healthcare system (compared to my country) in the United States and that's why I'm kind of on the fence considering economic aspects of getting prescribed drugs and occasional psychiatry appointments. I'm also aware that each healthcare package offered by universities varies in terms of the coverage. Would the funding be sufficient to meet the expenses of psychiatry appointments and prescription drugs if some of the healthcare packages would not cover those expenses? Would I have to pay a lot? I would really appreciate all the comments (international/domestic) by fellow students who have or had similar issues.

Really depends on the school. I've attended two universities (transfered with my advisor) and the uni's differ so much in both on/off campus healht, packages etc. You could always contact the uni's insurance office - they could tell you more 

If you already have an offer in hand, ask the program administrator to refer to the person that can guide you through healthcare questions. 

There is a steep learning curve: I suspect that healthcare in the US is purposely confusing (lots of jargon, illogical policies, etc.). So, ask everything a million times. If you have an offer that includes healthcare, ask for the complete list of coverage. You'll find there if appointments with a psychiatrist are covered and how much. Also ask very specific questions about your medication. Personally, I push very hard for concrete answers because sometimes healthcare professionals tend to fly around the bush. 

I don't know if you could do this, but I went to my eye doctor everytime I went home to get contact lenses because it was way cheaper. Could you have that as a back up plan?