UT Houston PhD Biostatistics program?

BioStatKid

Hi every one,

I have just received an offer from UT Houston with no information on funding. It seems that the students need to secure their own funding after accepting the offer. Since this is my only acceptance so far, can any one please share your thoughts about this program in terms of prestige? Is this program strong enough for someone wanting to move into academia later on? It is located at Houston amidst a big medical center, hence I think its focus will likely be on clinical trials. The big cohort and the vague funding situation concern me a bit. 

6 hours ago, BioStatKid said:

Hi every one,

I have just received an offer from UT Houston with no information on funding. It seems that the students need to secure their own funding after accepting the offer. Since this is my only acceptance so far, can any one please share your thoughts about this program in terms of prestige? Is this program strong enough for someone wanting to move into academia later on? It is located at Houston amidst a big medical center, hence I think its focus will likely be on clinical trials. The big cohort and the vague funding situation concern me a bit. 

as far as i Know it is a big program and attached to a medical center. It does seem you have to get your own funding and the tuition is not expensive at least that was what i got from the information sessions i attended. 

I think you should just ask them directly about the funding situation, scholarships, Teaching assistantships opportunities etc ...  did you have an interview prior to the offer? These are valid questions you should have asked them if you had an  interview...

I believe UT is a big enough program for anyone that wants to go to academia. A professor of mine went to UT austin for his phd in pharmacogenomics. I think it is all just depends on what you really want to do and talking to your assigned advisor to help steer you in that direction... 

I will suggest talking to someone there directly or ask to be in contact with a current/former student to see. That is what i plan to do after I decide. 

Best!

8 hours ago, denify said:

as far as i Know it is a big program and attached to a medical center. It does seem you have to get your own funding and the tuition is not expensive at least that was what i got from the information sessions i attended. 

I think you should just ask them directly about the funding situation, scholarships, Teaching assistantships opportunities etc ...  did you have an interview prior to the offer? These are valid questions you should have asked them if you had an  interview...

I believe UT is a big enough program for anyone that wants to go to academia. A professor of mine went to UT austin for his phd in pharmacogenomics. I think it is all just depends on what you really want to do and talking to your assigned advisor to help steer you in that direction... 

I will suggest talking to someone there directly or ask to be in contact with a current/former student to see. That is what i plan to do after I decide. 

Best!

Thank you for your response. I was accepted without any interview and have been sending emails to them to ask for more information about funding, but I keep receiving the same email. Hopefully there will be someone on this forum who has attended UT Houston that can chime in on this.

Edited by BioStatKid