Admitted but program coordinator not responding. Need help!

H.E.

Question

Hello everyone.

I was admitted to a Ph.D. program in applied math in early January, but my offer did not include any funding. However, it states that they might offer it later, depending on their budget development. On Thursday, I have reached out to the program coordinator, with whom I've had prior contact, inquiring about the funding situation and explaining that cost of attendance is an overriding concern for me; I haven't got any replies. In a prior discussion three weeks ago, my POI advised me to reach out and mentioned that my application is considered strong, so there are good chances of obtaining the funding.

I do not want to sound pushy or desperate, and I'm wondering how to handle this situation. Should I wait a little more and follow up? Reach out again to my POI explaining the situation?

This has been a rough admissions cycle and, being an international first-gen college student, I would appreciate any advice/insight you might provide on this.

2 answers to this question

First, congrats on your acceptance! That's an incredible feat.

Do you mean Thursday as in 2/11? I would definitely give it more time-- a business week. This is a really busy time of year for administrators and you're likely not the only one reaching out with a similar concern. It's not easy to wait, but I would suggest waiting until this upcoming Thursday and then following up, and then waiting until the following week to reach out to your POI. Unless there's some other deadline you didn't mention, like a date you have to commit by (that's before April 15) then take it easy. 

Best of luck, I hope things work out in your favor!