PhD Canada acceptance rate

memememecanada

Hi. It's my first post here :)
I have applied to 6 Phd programs in business administration/Management in Canada, as follows:

1- Rotman - University of Toronto (Organization behaviour)
2- Sauder - University of British Columbia (Organization behaviour)
3- Schulich - York University (Organisational studies)
4- Ivey - University of Western Ontario (Entrepreneurship)
5- Haskayne - University of Calgary (Entrepreneurship)
6- Beedie - Simon Fraser University (Entrepreneurship/Organisational studies)

I'v had an interview with POI in both Calgary & Simon Fraser, but that was it! Never heard back from these 2, neither was I shortlisted to interviews by the other 4programs

I'm wondering if anyone applied to these and heard back? I'm new to this website and I've used the search function, but searching for 'Beedie', for example, resulted in posts that goes back to 2015! so I wonder if there is anything I'm doing wrong. I also wonder when approximately do these universities send decision (Either acceptance or rejection). Finally, which of those has the highest acceptance rate for international students with degrees from outside Canada/US?

Much appreciation for any info!

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, nophdpls said:

Did you have any interviews ?

Unfortunately not yet! I had just talked to two professors at Uvic and McGill via email before applying. 

22 hours ago, Saina92 said:

Unfortunately not yet! I had just talked to two professors at Uvic and McGill via email before applying. 

did you feel like the profs were very. interested in having you onboard during those conversations? 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:06 PM, memememecanada said:

Hi. It's my first post here :)
I have applied to 6 Phd programs in business administration/Management in Canada, as follows:

1- Rotman - University of Toronto (Organization behaviour)
2- Sauder - University of British Columbia (Organization behaviour)
3- Schulich - York University (Organisational studies)
4- Ivey - University of Western Ontario (Entrepreneurship)
5- Haskayne - University of Calgary (Entrepreneurship)
6- Beedie - Simon Fraser University (Entrepreneurship/Organisational studies)

I'v had an interview with POI in both Calgary & Simon Fraser, but that was it! Never heard back from these 2, neither was I shortlisted to interviews by the other 4programs

I'm wondering if anyone applied to these and heard back? I'm new to this website and I've used the search function, but searching for 'Beedie', for example, resulted in posts that goes back to 2015! so I wonder if there is anything I'm doing wrong. I also wonder when approximately do these universities send decision (Either acceptance or rejection). Finally, which of those has the highest acceptance rate for international students with degrees from outside Canada/US?

Much appreciation for any info!

Hi. I also applied to Ivey, but so far no news from them. Did you receive any feedback?  

This is what I know/can tell you about Ivey.

They received a number of applications for all disciplines and for each discipline they said there were around 5 credible candidates for each discipline. 

Some students were formally interview and the final admissions committee met on February 25, 2021 (all disciplines).

Some people were informally shared that offers will be made to them; other disciplines did not conduct interviews and will give straight offers. Current doctoral students in the program now were given straight offers without interviews.

I am assuming formal, final offers for first round candidates will be given very shortly. 

Fingers crossed to all of you and hope that helps a bit!

On 3/15/2021 at 10:07 PM, phdob said:

They received a number of applications for all disciplines and for each discipline they said there were around 5 credible candidates for each discipline. 

Some students were formally interview and the final admissions committee met on February 25, 2021 (all disciplines).

Some people were informally shared that offers will be made to them; other disciplines did not conduct interviews and will give straight offers. Current doctoral students in the program now were given straight offers without interviews.

I am assuming formal, final offers for first round candidates will be given very shortly. 

Thanks that helps a lot! Just to confirm, when you say 5 candidates for each discipline, the general management is considered one, right? Meaning that there will be only one candidate for each of: International Business, Strategy, Entrepreneurship, BEPP?

Btw, this line "Current doctoral students in the program now were given straight offers without interviews" has just made my day ? so thanks again!

Oh, I do not think only one candidate will be selected for each discipline.  They have admitted multiple people in various disciplines in the years priors. 

I am glad and good luck!! 

On 3/15/2021 at 3:07 PM, phdob said:

Thanks that's super helpful! Although someone in the forum replied that they got an offer back in Feb. I wonder if that's the "informal" offer then? I take it from your comment that the formal first round offers haven't been sent out yet.

7 minutes ago, nophdpls said:

Thanks that's super helpful! Although someone in the forum replied that they got an offer back in Feb. I wonder if that's the "informal" offer then? I take it from your comment that the formal first round offers haven't been sent out yet.

I found out that first formal offers when out.

Based upon who declines they move down the list. 

On 3/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, phdob said:

What discipline did everyone apply to? 

I applied to International Business. I didn't receive any information from the admissions. Btw, Has anyone tried to send an e-mail to the department or to the POI asking for a status? I was thinking of doing so.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:24 PM, Igot said:

I sent an email to my POI some hours ago. As soon I receive a reply, I will update you about his feedback. Fingers crossed ?

Hello everyone! I reached out to Ivey's faculty discipline coordinator of International Business, and he promptly answered that my application was not on the admissions shortlist. So, I knew that my application was denied.
I would suggest you to getting in contact with your discipline coordinator to have a status.

In addition to that, I got in contact with the PHD office, and they informed me that "we received over 25% more applications this year, and a large number of application packages have been truly outstanding. It's been quite a competitive admissions year."

I hope for success in your future endeavors and positive feedback from Ivey's and/or other PhD programs. 

Regards