You got into Graduate school- Now what about your job?

Ms J

Just wondering how much notice you would want to give your current employer if you applied to graduate school, got accepted and have decided to attend? I am planning to leave my current employment of 4 years to enroll in a PhD program in another state. Initially i was planning to give a month's notice... bu i kinda feel bad about that. Should i tell them now?rolleyes.gif

Honestly it depends on your working relationship between you and your current employer. I am in the same situation. I have been working for the same university almost 8 years and plan to move out-of-state for my PhD studies. I told the Academic Dean as soon as I decided to go back to school. - I have a very strong relationship with them.

I have a friend who works at a small college. She is also planning to quit her job and attending graduate school in the Fall. However she has a "bitter relationship" with her boss. She decided not to tell them until the very last minutes. Her going back to school actually is an "escape" for her current job. - it is sad.

In my opinion, if you have a good working relationship with your current employer, you should tell them now. You never know. You might be employed by them again after obtaining your PhD. You don't want to "make so many enemies." Also... we are now living in a very small world. Your future employer might know your current employer. ....

Good luck!

I work for a consulting firm that is very over-worked right now so I had no worries of being fired for quitting and I gave about a months notice. People remarked that I had given more notice than necessary and were all surprisingly nice about it. I was terrified that people would say you must have known about this for a month now why didn't you tell us, but no one did. Has anyone else left when you were there? How much notice did they give? I don't think anyone expected me to give more notice than normal just because I was leaving for grad school rather than for a different job.

I work in a very small company, so I have already told them which is about 3 months notice. Also my position is such that I will have to train someone extensively to take over for me. My immediate boss is okay since he's also a PhD and understands my wanting to become one too, while my CEO is another story. When he found out, he didnt talk to me for about 1 week, taking it personally that I'll be leaving. He has since "come around" to the idea although he drops snide remarks here and there about it.

My boss knows; he was one of my LORs and I gave him 9mos heads up. The funny part is that HE is keeping my departure a secret from HIS boss as long as possible. It's an odd and interesting position to be in.