Clinical Psych Internship Interviews

Psyche007

Do we have any 4th years around? Anyone complete internship interviews?

I'm interested in people's general experiences for this season. Interview content, emphasis, case presentations, you name it. What did you have to do and how did it go?

I think match day is tomorrow.

Match day is indeed tomorrow. If you go over to StudentDoctorNetwork, there are tons of people who applied for internship. That forum also has a lot of TDs and staff psychologists who weigh in on things as well. The internship thread there is basically what the program application thread is here on GradCafe. 

1 hour ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Match day is indeed tomorrow. If you go over to StudentDoctorNetwork, there are tons of people who applied for internship. That forum also has a lot of TDs and staff psychologists who weigh in on things as well. The internship thread there is basically what the program application thread is here on GradCafe. 

Thanks. I might risk venturing over there, haha!

2 minutes ago, Psyche007 said:

Yeah, that was a mistake. /shudder

The thread or the whole forum? There's definitely some strong opinions, but I have gleaned some good insight into certain things from reading posts on there.

In terms of internship stuff, since I'm applying next year, I've definitely been talking to those in the cohorts above me, as well as fellow externs from other programs. I've gotten some great information that way, especially if they interviewed at sites I'm also interested in applying to. 

1 minute ago, PsyDuck90 said:

The thread or the whole forum? There's definitely some strong opinions, but I have gleaned some good insight into certain things from reading posts on there.

In terms of internship stuff, since I'm applying next year, I've definitely been talking to those in the cohorts above me, as well as fellow externs from other programs. I've gotten some great information that way, especially if they interviewed at sites I'm also interested in applying to. 

I didn't make it to the internship thread. I made the mistake of searching for my institution in the hopes of finding my people.

It's amazing how such high-achieving genius elitists have the time and energy to write detailed threads shitting all over schools they disapprove of, lol.

3 minutes ago, Psyche007 said:

I didn't make it to the internship thread. I made the mistake of searching for my institution in the hopes of finding my people.

It's amazing how such high-achieving genius elitists have the time and energy to write detailed threads shitting all over schools they disapprove of, lol.

Oh yeah, they don't like your school, mostly for the PsyD. They're also generally biased against PsyD programs as a whole. 

1 minute ago, PsyDuck90 said:

Oh yeah, they don't like your school, mostly for the PsyD. They're also generally biased against PsyD programs as a whole. 

Sure. Just seems odd to criticize research training in a PsyD programme. When I compare my PhD sections to their PsyDs section, there's quite a difference.

Although the reality is that my career might suffer due to my age and lack of pedigree, the arrogance of their assumptions belies something really quite distasteful and short-sighted. Luckily, my outspoken and oppositional nature will prevent me from having a chance at any site that supports their kind of thinking, even if I managed to sneak in an interview. I really don't want to be around them.

I don't know. I'm sitting here with it, mulling it over, examining it, what these feelings might mean. There's certainly a degree of resentment generated from experiencing such prejudice. There's also a small degree of regret around never getting to know my chances of attending an 'elite' institution. My life circumstances wouldn't allow it. I was lucky to be able to apply and attend at this stage of life as it is, so I remain grateful. There's part of my response that is a reaction to hubris and a defensive anger arranged around the fear that their analysis is correct, and therefore I'm of no value. But, intellectually, I know that isn't true.

I'm supposed to be grading and not being annoyed by SDN, lol.