Cambridge University Press Online Course Questions

Iris Che

Hi folks! I'm looking for online Latin/Greek courses and was interested by the Latin Literature classes offered by the Cambrdge Press. 

https://www.dl.cambridgescp.com/dl_course/latin-literature-prose

They seem to offer recorded sessions and a tutor who you can contact and ask questions to. The participant can get a certificate after finishing the course and an exam. 

Did anyone attend the course? Or what do you guys think about it?

Hi! I haven't done the Cambridge course, but the ancient Greek course I'm doing right now via Zoom is the Belfast Classics courses with Helen McVeigh, who's based in Northern Ireland. They have both Latin and Greek group courses, one on one courses, and there's a 5-day-a-week Summer intensive for either Latin or Greek in whichever level you think is best. I went with Helen because she's got the cheapest distance program I found. Yes, that means in my time zone, I'm up at 6:30am for Greek on a Saturday, but it's worth it. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you wanted to check it out! (And if it looks like your level of Latin or Greek is fully booked, email her - this is how I found out she was adding another section for Greek learners not yet listed on the site).

https://helenmcveigh.co.uk/courses/

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2021 at 7:16 AM, ClassicsCandidate said:

Hi! I haven't done the Cambridge course, but the ancient Greek course I'm doing right now via Zoom is the Belfast Classics courses with Helen McVeigh, who's based in Northern Ireland. They have both Latin and Greek group courses, one on one courses, and there's a 5-day-a-week Summer intensive for either Latin or Greek in whichever level you think is best. I went with Helen because she's got the cheapest distance program I found. Yes, that means in my time zone, I'm up at 6:30am for Greek on a Saturday, but it's worth it. Just wanted to throw that out there in case you wanted to check it out! (And if it looks like your level of Latin or Greek is fully booked, email her - this is how I found out she was adding another section for Greek learners not yet listed on the site).

https://helenmcveigh.co.uk/courses/

Hi! Thank you so much for this. Idk why I didn't get the notification that someone applied to this post. Sorry!

For those who are curious about the "course" offered by the Cambridge Press, well, it is not a course but you pay for tutoring. I thought there would be recordings and then assignments, yet they only give you a guidebook and assign you a tutor. You read their textbook with the instruction of the guidebook, answer the questions listed in the book, then you submit your answers to your tutor. Though the tutor is responsible, the "course" is not worthy of the money.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, Iris Che said:

Hi! Thank you so much for this. Idk why I didn't get the notification that someone applied to this post. Sorry!

For those who are curious about the "course" offered by the Cambridge Press, well, it is not a course but you pay for tutoring. I thought there would be recordings and then assignments, yet they only give you a guidebook and assign you a tutor. You read their textbook with the instruction of the guidebook, answer the questions listed in the book, then you submit your answers to your tutor. Though the tutor is responsible, the "course" is not worthy of the money.

You're welcome! It's no problem. 

Oh, that's good to have more information about the course. For the course I take with Belfast Classics, it's 10 weeks (one a week) of a course that follows a GCSE book until you get all the way through it (right now I'm in the "post-beginners" course, so in my second set of 10 weeks, and then I have already paid for the Summer Intensive for two weeks. It's for one hour and she walks us through the instruction for the grammar/vocabulary in each section, and we'll do some exercises together and she assigns us exercises to do over the course of the week. You don't get graded, and we actually *asked* her to give us a vocabulary quiz so we would be able to assess ourselves and she said to send it her way if we wanted her to mark it but we weren't obligated to. I like that it's a more relaxed environment but it's still interactive and guided versus fully self-led.