Columbia and BU Social Work Admissions Questions

followingdreams

Hi everyone! I am so grateful that I recently got into BU School of Social Work for Fall 2021. They are giving me until March 12 to give my decision, but my top school is Columbia, which I may not hear back from until mid-April (they said eight weeks from the deadline, which was in mid-February). My financial aid/scholarship from BU is pretty good. Does anyone have advice on what to do here? And I have these specific questions:

1. Should I talk to someone from CSSW Admissions? Do you think they would be able to get my decision to me earlier?

2. Would talking to someone from CSSW Admissions potentially change my financial aid? (e.g. if I told them Columbia is my top choice?)

3. How is financial aid/scholarship at Columbia generally?

I doubt CSSW will get to you before March 12th. From my understanding, a lot of us who applied Dec 1st are still waiting for a decision and were told we'd get one "by March 1st" which is looking more like mid-March. I wouldn't say it's impossible though. I'd guess that they'd be eager to give out decisions to spectacular candidates who applied for the Feb deadline sooner rather than later. The best thing you can do is ask BU for an extension and just explain you're waiting on other schools.

I can't speak to Columbia's financial aid since I still haven't gotten a decision back but I can say that saying a school is your top choice is typically not a compelling reason to increase financial aid. I think the most successful cases are a combination of outlining financial need and showcasing a considerably larger package from another school.

@eMSW21 Thanks for the reply! I actually already asked for an extension from BU- they originally had a March 5th deadline but changed it to March 12th for me. I don't think they will move it later.

In terms of the financial aid, I meant the opposite- I was worried if I told Columbia they're my top choice, they'd lower my financial aid. I like the idea of showcasing a larger package from another school, but I don't think I'll hear back from Columbia until I already have to make my decision about BU regardless.

Hi there. Not sure if it helps you , but will share that I just started at BU SSW for my MSW this spring and Love it! I was nervous about the online only but I live in AZ so... if I wanted to do BU, that was the only option! LOL. Have to say, thanks to amazing professors, the incredible peer group I e net and technology, it’s been a great and inspiring experience. ❤️?? Highly recommend! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 9:17 PM, FreedomWriter said:

Hi there. Not sure if it helps you , but will share that I just started at BU SSW for my MSW this spring and Love it! I was nervous about the online only but I live in AZ so... if I wanted to do BU, that was the only option! LOL. Have to say, thanks to amazing professors, the incredible peer group I e net and technology, it’s been a great and inspiring experience. ❤️?? Highly recommend! 

I just got in the BU online program, I'm glad to hear this and super excited! I can't afford to move to Boston for a few years.also

Also i had to accept by March 11 and I did cause BU was my top choice. Instill haven't hears back from columbia or PSU.  I doubt columbia has enough aid for online students to make up the cost difference.