Enhancements

Some of the grad programs (I applied for PhDs in Philosophy in the U.S.) that have made me an offer said that I shouldn't be shy and that they might be able to offer enhancements and try to match the funding packages and conditions of my other offers. Are they just saying this to get intel or can I actually expect them to make me a better offer? How fair is this to other students? Was wondering whether anyone has experience with this.

I've also been offered something similar by school #1 -- "let us know if you are leaning towards school #2 because they are offering a higher [summer stipend for example] and we can try to match it". They have also offered fixed cheap housing for 5 years instead of higher stipend.

12 hours ago, crimsonarchon said:

Are they just saying this to get intel or can I actually expect them to make me a better offer?

I think you can expect a revised and better offer.

12 hours ago, crimsonarchon said:

How fair is this to other students?

Obviously debatable, maybe they are negotiating similarly? However, it won't take away from their current offers in any way.

On 3/4/2021 at 4:10 AM, abay91 said:

I've also been offered something similar by school #1 -- "let us know if you are leaning towards school #2 because they are offering a higher [summer stipend for example] and we can try to match it". They have also offered fixed cheap housing for 5 years instead of higher stipend.

wow how did you negotiate that?

Have not negotiated for a higher summer stipend yet, because I think I'm leaning towards school #2 for other reasons than funding. But the fixed grad housing is apparently very common (literally brought up by 3 different students I spoke to)! School #1 (with the grad housing) is UCSD and the housing falls under their SHORE policy, if that helps!

2 hours ago, abay91 said:

Have not negotiated for a higher summer stipend yet, because I think I'm leaning towards school #2 for other reasons than funding. But the fixed grad housing is apparently very common (literally brought up by 3 different students I spoke to)! School #1 (with the grad housing) is UCSD and the housing falls under their SHORE policy, if that helps!

hmmm I wrote to my advisor about the grad housing! Would be easier to not be at the whim of the lottery system!