University of British Columbia (UBC) Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice

• 1 month later...

I am also an applicant to the MA program and I still haven't heard from them... Quite stressful to not have an answer yet...

I read in your post that UBC refund Asian Studies applicants. Is it because the program doesn't have enough applicant or the program won't happen this year?

Thanks

I've been loosely following the Asian Studies mess also and though I'm not quite certain why it occurred, it seems that the department has decided to skip a cohort and to not return app fees. I assume it has to do with covid, not enough apps (as you say), etc. Last I spoke to the grad coordinator, one month ago to the day, she made it sound as though our apps were still under review and that we should be expecting decisions in "early april." There was no indication that our apps are no longer being considered or that GRSJ is not taking on new students this year but I sincerely hope this is still the case and that we won't end up in a similar situation to those who applied to Asian Studies... fingers crossed and sending you all good luck too!

Edit: just saw the recent post in the results feed and it looks like Asian Studies applicants did finally receive refunds, my apologies!

Edited by 64879_ds
mistake

I recently sent out an email to the GRSJ about decision timelines and got the following response:

Thank you for reaching out to us about the status of your application.

Currently, the Graduate Committee is completing its evaluation of the short-listed students. We will be reaching out to the applicants with the final decision over the coming weeks, starting on April 10, 2021.

Your patience is appreciated.

FYI I'm an international student applying to the PhD program

Edited by GoBlue909012
missing information

9 hours ago, Ginger15 said:

I am also an applicant to the MA program and I still haven't heard from them... Quite stressful to not have an answer yet...

I read in your post that UBC refund Asian Studies applicants. Is it because the program doesn't have enough applicant or the program won't happen this year?

Thanks

They don't have enough funding for the PhD students this year.

2 hours ago, GoBlue909012 said:

I recently sent out an email to the GRSJ about decision timelines and got the following response:

Currently, the Graduate Committee is completing its evaluation of the short-listed students. We will be reaching out to the applicants with the final decision over the coming weeks, starting on April 10, 2021.

Wow. Thank you for this! 

7 hours ago, GoBlue909012 said:

Tysm for sharing this!!

Just want to give an update here for you all that I received a rejection email from the grad coordinator today. Hugely bummed but I’m hoping for good things for others!! Good luck!

On 4/5/2021 at 9:54 PM, firstnameunknown said:

The same, haven't heard anything from them. I am an applicant to the MA program.

On 4/6/2021 at 8:49 AM, Ginger15 said:

Thanks

Hey! Have you heard anything from GRSJ?

Got an update from GRSJ today:

We sincerely apologize for the delay in processing applications. We received a high volume of competitive applications, and, as we are working remotely due to the current circumstances, the process has taken longer than usual.

Currently, the Graduate Committee is completing its evaluation of short-listed applicants. We will be reaching out to applicants with the final decision by the first week of May. You can expect to hear from us soon.

Your patience is greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rant: The waiting game is no joke. It's been six months since the deadline. They kept pushing and pushing the notification date for offers. It will be stressful for international students to work on their visas on this date. If your target entry would be on August 6, I heard that at least submit the online application for the study permit by May 15. It is also not best to assume acceptance and prepare everything right now--it's costly and impractical. Receiving an offer is just the second step after the submission of the application. If September 7 is the first day of classes this school year, shouldn't the accepted student be preparing their documents (or even plans) for the upcoming term? I mean, getting enrolled is just one thing, but how about mentally and psychologically preparing oneself for being a resident in a new different country during a pandemic—it's more than being a graduate student of UBC. This is just too much. They say that good things come to those who wait, but we deserve better in these times of uncertainty and anxiety.

Edited by CaptainHoseok

I already received an email from the chairperson and told me that I did not make it to the cut as there were only 2 people admitted for the PhD program. This is because of the limited funding they got for graduate students. Also, they let me know that there was a 30% increase in applications.