Online Summer Intensive for Prerequisites?

I applied to SLP masters programs earlier than I anticipated because of COVID and haven’t had any opportunity to complete prerequisites but got into a bunch of programs! I’m coming from out of field, so I have a bunch that I need to complete and was wondering if anybody knew of any programs similar to Teachers College’s Intensive Online Prerequisite Program? I won’t be able to do in person because I have an international job for the summer before matriculation (though it’s a toss up if it’ll still happen), and it’s on the other side of the world so asynchronous would also be a nice perk! 

I'd recommend checking out ENMU's offerings. All of the classes I took through them were asynchronous. They're easy to enroll in and less expensive than a lot of other online programs.

Other options: Utah State, CalState San Marcos, Northwestern... There may also be some options at a CC level in the state where you live if they offer a SLPA track. 

Another thing to consider is that most likely many programs are still offering most things online right now, even if they'd normally be in person. 

14 minutes ago, meadymalarkey said:

I'd recommend checking out ENMU's offerings. All of the classes I took through them were asynchronous. They're easy to enroll in and less expensive than a lot of other online programs.

Other options: Utah State, CalState San Marcos, Northwestern... There may also be some options at a CC level in the state where you live if they offer a SLPA track. 

Another thing to consider is that most likely many programs are still offering most things online right now, even if they'd normally be in person. 

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Do you happen to know if these programs are spread out over multiple semesters or if they cover all of the prerequisites over one summer?

28 minutes ago, kxzhou said:

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! Do you happen to know if these programs are spread out over multiple semesters or if they cover all of the prerequisites over one summer?

It depends on what's being offered and what you actually need. Most bridge programs are intended to be somewhat spread out (like between 1-2 years usually) because you're essentially completing what would have been a 2nd major. If you're ambitious you could possibly take multiple courses at different institutions based on what you know you'll definitely need for the graduate program you've chosen. For instance, I had acquired some of my pre-reqs already, but the grad program I chose wanted others that none of the other programs I'd applied to had asked for. I could have waited to take them as a grad student, but decided to knock them out over the summer: 2 at ENMU, 1 at San Marcos, another at UCLA extension, and one at my local CC. Previously I had done several through CSUSM. 

ENMU does 6-8 week intensive courses, which means you can take several in a relatively short period of time. Same for CSUSM. 

The summer intensive at Teacher's college includes:

• Speech Science (2 credits)
  • Language Development or Language Acquisition (2 credits)
  • Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism (2 credits)
  • Audiology (2 credits)
  • Phonetics (1 credits)

Longwood University offers the following classes online over the summer:

• Introduction to Communication Disorders
  • Language Development
  • Morphology and Syntax
  • Phonetics
  • Anatomy and Physiology of Speech and Hearing Mechanisms
  • Phonology and Language Disorders
  • Introduction to Audiology
  • Speech Science
  • Neurology in Human Communication
  • Introduction to Clinical Practice
  • Aural Rehabilitation

Idaho State University is offering the following courses (online, asynchronous) this summer:

• Clinical Phonetics (CSD3321)
  • Speech Science (CSD3310)
  • Anatomy & Physiology of Speech (CSD3350)
  • Educational Audiology (CSD4460)
  • Language Development (CSD3335)

SDSU offers the following summer courses fully online, but make sure that the end date for some of these classes (8/22) doesn't interfere with your start date at your chosen program:

• SLHS 0513 Foundations of Speech-Language: Development
  • SLHS 0320 Phonetics
  • SLHS 0300 Introduction to Language Science (this might be an equivalent to speech science but you'll have to make sure)
  • SLHS 0340 Principles of Audiology
  • SLHS 0321 Anatomy and Physiology of Speech

Northwestern has a program that includes the following courses. Note, Speech Science does not seem to be offered as a part of this program:

• CSD 301 Anatomy and Physiology of Vocal Mechanism
  • CSD 305 Phonetics
  • CSD 318 Introduction to Audiology
  • CSD 319 Aural Rehabilitation 
  • CSD 392 Language Development and Usage

University of Wisconsin, Eau Claire offers the following courses online every summer:

• Anatomy & Physiology of Speech and Hearing 
  • Speech & Hearing Science 
  • Normal Communication/Language Development 
  • Phonetics 
  • Audiology

All five classes listed are pretty common prerequisites for most programs, and quite a few universities offer summer programs online, so I'm sure there's more!

-Jo

UVM also has online prereqs, although I don't know if all of them are over the summer. If they are, they would be accelerated 5-week courses requiring at least a couple hours of work a day, so it might be really hard to do all of them at once. There are two summer sessions, so maybe you could do 3 in one session and 2 in the other? A mix and match approach from a few schools might end up working out for you.

Also, something worth noting (that I've run into as a grad student):

Sometimes "speech science" courses are offered as physics GE's, but they may not always count towards the physics requirement by ASHA's standards, even if the department says it does. I took the one through CSUSM, which was listed as counting in the course description, and my current department is still not sure if it will count. It's not the biggest deal, it just means one more GE course, but still... worth mentioning. It's kind of a gray area.